HipHop for PHP - Transform your code

• SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Today I'm excited to share the project a small team of amazing people and I have been working on for the past two years; HipHop for PHP. With HipHop we've reduced the CPU usage on our Web servers on average by about fifty percent, depending on the page. Less CPU means fewer servers, which means less overhead. This project has had a tremendous impact on Facebook. We feel the Web at large can benefit from HipHop, so we are releasing it as open source this evening in hope that it brings a new focus toward scaling large complex websites with PHP. While HipHop has shown us incredible results, it's certainly not complete and you should be comfortable with beta software before trying it out.

http://developers.facebook.com/news.php ... 358&blog=1
  • digitalMedia
  • a.k.a. dM
  • Genius
  • Loc: SC-USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

And who said Facebook was worthless? ;)

Over my head, but interesting. Good to see that people getting the benefits of open-source are giving back.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Queue jokes about the white man stealing HipHop from black folks in 5, 4, 3...

--

All of this marketing shtick has been driving me nuts, where's the freaking code already !? I want to try it out. :D
  • genux
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

It sounds very cool :) and also interesting to try out cannot wait together my cable modem sorted to try.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wheres that download button?
  • stuart4487
  • Born
  • Born
  • stuart4487

Post 3+ Months Ago

The buzz on the Facebook PHP compiler was true. Today, Facebook announced HipHop for PHP, a compiler, or rather, a source code transformer (I think the difference is easier to visualize then it is to explain.) Apparently, they are taking this advancement on the geek tour circuit and plan to kick off these discussions tonight on the Facebook Developer UStream Channel. Sounds like there is no download yet available, but a new open source project is kicking off in which we are welcome to participate.

-------------------------------------

Stuart Johnson
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://wiki.github.com/facebook/hiphop-php/building-and-installing

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts