How can I modify part of a cgi/perl flat file search engine?

• brain
  • Born
  • Born
  • brain

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've got a cgi/perl script, flat file search engine, that puts out a list of categories to search by. However, the categories are listed as titles and only usable by clicking a radio button next to them.

The titles are themselves being created as clickable links. How can I convert these categories into actual clickable links? The categories are stored as a text file. The search results are being pulled from a flat file .dat separtated by | 's.

What would be the easiest way to convert these categories to actual clickable links, instead of just usable with the radio buttons?

By the way, you can see the actual information I'm talking about at http://www.freelancerworld.com/cgi-bin/ ... /links.cgi
Any advice would be appreciated. :lol:

Thanks,
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

There would be a couple ways you could do it. First if the links are simply your domain name with the exact category Name appendended on the end then you would simply have to edit your perl script some so that it modifies the html output to put a href tag around those links.

The other way is to add another field into your perl script so that besides having the category names and possibly other info, you would have a database field that represents the link to which that category is located. Once you do that all you have to do is edit the script's html output then and simply place the href tags around the category and insert the database field that represents the link in those href tags.

Its really hard to get specific, as your question is pretty general and it might not be the easiest change if you do not have PERL experience. If you do have PERL experience then what I told you above might help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts