how to inflate custom 404 file code to make it 512kb

• webdummy
  • Born
  • Born

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Guys,

I'm new to web design but very keen to learn from the experts like your selves this is my first post here so please bear with me. I'm currently wrestling with a xhtml code problem in that I'm trying to figure out a method of how I could add something in my custom error 404 page html code to make it load in IE and hense bring the required file size to 512kb. I have been adding huge amount of lorum ipsum dummy text into my page code which works of course but it looks bloody un professional. Does any one have any ideas and I would greeeaatly appreciate it, thanks guys in advance.

Webdummy :) PS: I had already placed all sorts of optin and feedback forms etc on my error 404 page to try to inflate the code but to no avail which is why I was forced to add the dummy text which did work off course.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm pretty sure it's 512b (512 characters) not 512Kb (approx 512,000 characters)

Do you have a navigation bar you could work into it ?

Do you use Google Webmaster Tools ?
http://www.google.com/support/webmaster ... 3641&hl=en
The code generated for Googles Custom 404 Error pages is about 460 bytes, by the time you wrap that code in a proper DOCTYPE/title/etc it should cross the boundry.

Also, always be sure to clear your browsers cache inbetween tests.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

why is it supposed to be 512b? I don't get it ...
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Because Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided that anything less than that could not possibly be enough information to let someone know the page wasn't found. Some IE browsers will return a default 404 page, completely ignoring anything the server sends, if the content-length is less than that.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's absolutely pathetic.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Their intentions were good, you have to remember that this idea was concieved in a time when developers were still figuring out what the basic functionality of browsers should be.

It probably would have worked better if they lowered the threshhold, to say, zero.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay I see I still just think they didn't think this through properly ... but cool ... I learnt something important here today. Thanks for that.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts