Images won't show up on mobile

• Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

My website is setup in php on a linux server. I'm trying to figure out why all the images on the website show up fine on all desktop browsers, but not on mobile phones. This has been tested on a couple of different phones and the problem is identical on more than one phone. So it's not a phone setting. Also the phone shows images from other websites file. Also, this now has a problem when downloading files from it. They are fine on the server, but when downloaded, the file doesn't download properly. From some browsers it shows it as 0-1kb after downloading, image files mostly. Some browsers it shows the full kbs after downloaded but still doesn't work. This was random. Things got screwed up after my client tried to set a few things up himself and it was disasterous. Still trying to figure this stuff out. I'm not sure what kind of other details to supply here. There is really no code to show. The download worked fine before the client interference. I'm not sure if the mobile images worked fine before or not, I hadn't tested those yet.
[edit] this may or may not help. The actual images load for about 2 seconds on mobiles, before they just go blank.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think a URL sent to my PM might be appropriate here, as there is not much for me to go on. I may be able to diagnose it from that.

Have you tried testing it in a Desktop browser with a User Agent that mimics one of these phones? With FireFox you can use User Agent Switcher:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/user-agent-switcher/

That might allow you to figure something out as well.
  • Kurthead+1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Kurthead+1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wish I could, it would make it a lot easier. The pages at the url require user/pass to access, and letting anyone see them would violate an NDA at this stage in the project.
I figured it wouldn't be enough information to solve it with, but it was worth a shot.
I'm trying random troubleshooting by process of elimination, currently. So, I'll post back here when I find the problem, in case it's helpful to anyone in the future.

Thanks
  • suzie
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a member on a list for Web Design, they talk about responsive designing for the web.

What is resposive designing?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design

Responsive Design Tips - Adobe

http://success.adobe.com/en/na/programs/products/digitalmarketing/offers/nov/1311-40458-S7-responsive-design-paper.html?s_cid=701a0000002ICodAAG&s_iid=701a0000000nG55AAE&skwcid=AL!3085!3!36457112371!b!!g!!responsive%20website%20design&ef_id=Ux7k1gAAANTVfa4m:20140311102630:s
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bootstrap which is a css framework to help with responsive designing.

And the following are some thoughts to think about.

Does your host/site has any sort of caching/temporary files? Would clearing it help?

Do the images show up with www. with the path, or without?

What about CHMODD? Are the viewable? Would this even do anything (don't know much about this).

Are the image names the correct case? Or does the server not care about case sensitivity?

What about HotLink Protection or something anything like that? (Kind of hard to help with little information about your setup and type of server/panel you're using).

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts