Inspiration required in my project

• 0tter
  • Loc: England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction on this venture.

I’m currently putting a website together for a close relative, I have decided to use PHP and MySQL and was going to sit down learn the scripting language and database tools but a friend suggested an alternative. He is a developer and suggested that I should look to the free script sites first in an effort of not re-inventing the wheel but cherry picking good code and learning in the best possible way at the same time. First does this seem a good way to go about things. My programming skills go way back with my experience founded in Pascal, Cobol, Basic etc. since then it has been all hardware and software support with little programming but hey a bit of web design thrown in, though just static HTML.

I need to know is there any code out there for a Marketing site, one where people join the site, filling out forms on their skin, hair etc. types. Based upon this information they are then invited to test various products and eventually fill in evaluation forms. Anything similar to this or code that sucks up membership information would be useful.

Before anyone flames me on this one, I have posted up this request on a number of sites. The best responder might then be in the unfortunate position of having me as a member.

Ugh fancy that :shock:

Anyway thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

0tter
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know if there is such site. You can try searching http://www.freshmeat.net for a PHP site like the one you need.
  • 0tter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Will have a scour of that site, really am a novice at this, it takes ages to become familiar with what are the best sites for some things. A hint like this is very welcome, so I'll have a trawl through the site, many thanks.

0tter
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post 3+ Months Ago

You're welcome
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have a look at http://www.hotscripts.com too

FreshMeat is good, but mostly it's just a huge index of Linux apps (although there are web-based apps there in various languages too). It can be a pain to navigate though sometimes (at least it was when I was last there) unless you know specfically what you're looking for.

HotScripts is pretty much pure web scripts in all kindsa languages, plus a few tutorials :)
  • 0tter

Post 3+ Months Ago

See what you mean it is huge, will try out the hotscripts when I've finished with the huge list that I managed to get from freshmeat.

It's amazing how much stuff there is out there, you could live in some of these sites, imagine how many man hours have been invested in all this coding. It's like my friend said, not to re-invent the wheel, just dip in and get the bits you need them cobble them together.

Thanks for the advice :D

0tter
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's how I learned.. I started playin' around with PHP by using PostNuke. Great piece of kit, and the few minor annoyances it had when I first got it are what forced me to really get in there and learn the language a bit, and I'm glad it did :)
  • 0tter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Postnuke is that a development package or is it a piece of script you were using.

So there is hope for me in my endeavours.

Great :roll: it'll take some time.

Thanks again.

0tter
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

PostNuke is a script... It's a Content Management System...

You can read more about it at http://www.postnuke.com and it's in action on hundreds of sites across the web. Some look very similar to the default installation and don't really show off much creativity, but some look very different to the standard layout of the script.

You can do a LOT with PostNuke, although most people don't. They just install it, create a basic semi-nice theme, and that's that, heh.

But that's like any other script. With nearly any PHP script, you can go as close-to-default, or as wacky as possible as you want to. As your skill level increases, and you become more comfortable with the script and the language you're using, you'll be wanting to do more and more to make your site look & feel more unique.
  • 0tter

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK this is now getting very confusing, I think I'll have to have a bit of a rest now. The amount of angles you can get to what you need is phenominal. Looking at the postnuke site was the straw that made my feeble mind you blip.

Could I use postnuke for the application described????

I think I need a couple of pints and a sit down in a quiet room, perhaps I'll go out and lie down in the snow.

Like the look of this postnuke stuff though, where do I start and do you really think it is applicable?

:shock:

Very interesting all of this though.

Meep

0tter
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, you sure could. You might have to make a custom module to add onto PostNuke that adds functionality to do specifically what you want, but I'll help you with that here if that's the route you wanna go.

I've been using PostNuke for a coupla years now, and I was on the support team for a while, so I have a lil experience with it :)

The best thing to do, is just go ahead and install it, and get used to the default system as it stands right now (configuration, general look & feel, etc.) then probably start working on a theme to customize the layout a bit. Once you've got the general appearance going that you want your site to have, then you can start working on the custom blocks & modules to more accurately achieve the functions you desire. :)
  • 0tter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right my adventure for the day starts here, I'll download Postnuke, post it up and see what happens. Then it's a trip out in the snow for a bottle of wine and a movie, perhaps with a step into the Unicorn on the way back.

I'll get in touch when I know a little better what I'm doing, and hopefully I grasp what the idea is behind Postnuke.

Cheers again
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's snow in England right now?
  • 0tter

Post 3+ Months Ago

Never seen it this bad since I was a toddler.

Must be about a foot on the ground (North East anyway).

There was a shot of the most blinding blue lightning in a blizzard last night. Really is getting a bit strange, sort of end of the world stuff.

Still it's not going to stop me going off to the pub.

Undaunted.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, last time I saw snow like that was probably about 14 or 15 years ago (North West) when I was a kid.. We'd just gotten a new puppy, and he was absolutely fascinated by the stuff, lol.

Enjoy the pub :D
  • 0tter

Post 3+ Months Ago

I believe they still have sun in Carlisle at the moment (well when the sun's up)

Just installed Postnuke, looks good apart from it does not like my admin password.

Bah

Pub looking better each minute.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts