Installing PHPBB

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I imagine this has been asked, but I'm attempting to install phpBB on a designer friend's domain.

I dropped all the files and directories into his cgi-bin with a CHMOD of 755 and set the permissions for config.php to 666 as instructed in the quick install directions.

I use WS FTP Pro for uploading, and it's set to automatic, so I assume it uploaded the ASCII and binary files appropriately as it usually does. (I checked several files and the upload appears to be intact.)

When trying to access the install.php file, i.e. http://www.friendsdomain.com/cgi-bin/in ... nstall.php, I get a 500 Internal server Error, specifically:
-------------
"The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, myfriend@hisdomain.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log."
--------------
I know his domain server supports MySQL and PHP (although I'm not certain yet what version - I think it's 3, but not sure yet what revision. I do have this same question in to the support for his domain).

I just thought since many here have used/are using or installed this board before someone may have a clue why I'm getting this error.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have a server error log? That will tell you exactly what the problem is, as it will record the error there.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Unfortunately I don't -- that's the question I have in to the support at my friend's domain more-or-less.

I'm sure I'll work it out eventually. It was a bit disapointing, though...

This script seemed a breeze to use...until I ran into this little unexpected snag. I thought I'd have it up and running by now...I'm so used to modifying the path to perl and variables and whatnot...I'm really intrested to see how the install works on this one. I guess I'll just have to be patient and wait for the answer from the domain gurus.

Thanks anyway.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, well if I were to recommend anything I would be basically taking a shot in the dark. With the exact error though I could pretty much tell you exactly what the problem would be. Anyway once you figure it out, or get the error log let us know :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Apparently with my friend's host you couldn't put it in the cgi-bin. Once I moved the files to the appropriate directory, it worked just fine and was as easy to install as I thought it should be.

Thanks.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice :)
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

most php that I have come across and used doesn't work in the "cgi-bin." So, I just always install it in it's own directory. Not sure why, I just
know it works.

If it ain't broke....
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz
  • Loc: Baltimore, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

no php in cgi-bin...doesn't work :) i use it alot and its always a problem. if its in the root folder it will run fine...just put it there and you'll be set
  • MediaDesign
  • Loser
  • Loser
  • Loc: somewhere

Post 3+ Months Ago

i think that your Forum will not work under the CGI repertory , cauz the php repertory doesn't have the same Chmode as CGI repertory ! :arrow:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts