Java Script or Java Applet Real Time with out page refresh

• sxmman
  • Born
  • Born
  • sxmman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am a system admin for a power company and we have real time data pages that work with javascripts to pick up the data from the devices. They only work with Java. I am looking for script or applet that will allow me to read a register array while not refreshing the page everytime.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

welcome to OZZU sxmman - I'm moving this to our Programming board.
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess the best try is to do that with Java (applet) not JavaScript... You will face some security restrictions if you need to access a machine different from the webserver where the applet resides.
  • sxmman
  • Born
  • Born
  • sxmman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will need to go off the webserver to request the data and I can't seem to find any applets that would work for this job. I am not well versed in Java and I am either looking for an applet or will try to make one of my own. I know that it has been done with OCX files.

Any more information or help is welcome and needed.
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yes, you can do that by using OCX because ActiveX files need to be installed (and accepted by the browser user) in order to work. Therefore you can access any IP and Port from an ActiveX. In Java you can't access other IP than the web server IP.

ActiveX files may be programmed in several languages, like Visual C and such. I think you can do the same with java applets, in such case the user will have to allow (by accepting some warning dialog) the applet to access the machine with the actual information you need to show.

In this point, I wonder, Won't be better to make a stand alone software for this? May be a simple Dialog based program usgin VC, VB, Delphi, etc...
  • sxmman
  • Born
  • Born
  • sxmman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Our concept is that we are a web based application provider and really we just do the real time as an add on. Our base is interactive data storage and our real time data is just for operation to be able to view the data as the engines are running. I am really looking for some help in either writing the OCXs or Java applets. My knowledge spans for ASP, ASP.NET, HTML and Java Script. Never really worked with Java applets or OCXs also need to know what the script would be to refresh the register array.
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmm... you may like to try a workarround I used once for showing Game Server status in a webpage withou reloading. For that I used PHP and MacroMedia Flash.

You can't open a connection to other machine from Flash, but you can get information from a PHP script, resulting in certain Flash variables being loaded with data from the script.

From PHP you can open a socket connection for retrieving data from other machine (this is an easy task and you don't have to fight with security issues). Then, you write a PHP script for returning url encoded variables with information, and use the loadVars() Flash function for calling this script periodically from the Flash embeded in the web page.
  • sxmman
  • Born
  • Born
  • sxmman

Post 3+ Months Ago

We have found a new way of doing all of this and now we are able to go in VB script or really any other prog. language and make the site. I am now looking for a way to take Data from an OPC server and make the data post in real time with out refreshing the page.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts