Joomla or Drupal?

• Walton10
  • Born
  • Born
  • Walton10

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking to install a PHP Script after installing AMPPS on my desktop. With which script should I start working Joomla or Drupal?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Mustafa_Aslan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Mustafa_Aslan

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am using Joomla in some projects but it doesn't give me as much as freedom as I like. Never tried Drupal but many of my friends are telling me that it is better than Joomla.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

joomla is easier to learn, but doesn't have as many options or freedoms.

Drupal has no learning curve, instead...it has a learning cliff. Will take you a while to get the hang of it but it has a LOT more options.

So really, depends on what your ultimate goal is.
  • somerS
  • Born
  • Born
  • somerS

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Joomla because the range of extensions they have. I recently launch a social networking script using JomSocial. Drupal have Drupal garden but it doesn't give the same freedom as JomSocial.

Joomla is easy to learn as well.
  • Mustafa_Aslan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Mustafa_Aslan

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence is right, Drupal has no learnign curve but cliff :) I just tried to learn little bit about Drupal to change my social bookmarking site made with Pligg to Drigg and I gave up.

By the way Pligg is one of the worst CMS(?) I have ever came accross. Just stay away, do whatever you can but don't use it. Customization is very difficult and poor documentation.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I disagree with the cliff thing. Drupal has a very complex API/Hook scheme that can be confusing when you move beyond the basic stuff, but Drupal 7 can do some *awesome* stuff without needing to do much, if any, custom coding. You WILL need to get the hang of the template php tokens, but it's not a lot different than wordpress or joomla in that regard. If you want to do lots of custom stuff, then yeah, it can get complex, but then if you're not a PHP programmer already, you probably shouldn't start out with something like Drupal anyway, and if you ARE, then.. Drupal is just a huge PHP application, so you can treat it as such.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, didn't answer the question. The way I see it, both Joomla and Drupal serve an audience... It depends on your needs. Joomla is a little easier in the short run, but is MUCH less flexible overall. If the site you are building isn't going to get a huge level of traffic and/or isn't going to need any high end functionality (social tools, real-time collaborative filtering, 25k dynamic pages, all in a high-availability type environment, etc) then Joomla will probably serve your needs... If you do need a truly enterprise quality CMS, though, Drupal is the ticket.

By way of example, Whitehouse.gov (a site requiring very high availability and an incredibly secure environment among many other requirements) examined several high end commercial options, custom toolsets and open source options like Joomla and Drupal. Whitehouse.gov is running Drupal.
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

Carnix wrote:
Drupal has a very complex API/Hook scheme that can be confusing when you move beyond the basic stuff, but Drupal 7 can do some *awesome* stuff without needing to do much, if any, custom coding.

That's more what I was talking about. Getting a site set up, adding your own skin to the site, adding modules for functionality - all basic. Views start to get a little confusing but nothing anyone on this forum can't handle. The API is crazy difficult to learn. Luckily, there's an ungodly huge plugin(module) repository. So you'll most likely find the functionality you need without touching the API.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts