Learning AJAX

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I want to learn AJAX and jQuery and JavaScript (AJAX mostly right now...)

How could I possibly do that?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Learn JavaScript.

Then learn how AJAX works.

Then let jQuery do it for you.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

spork wrote:
Learn JavaScript.

Then learn how AJAX works.

Then let jQuery do it for you.

Alright! Now are there any tutorials for each of those categories that you would recommend?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sure.

Javascript
O'Reilly
Google

AJAX
O'Reilly
Google

jQuery AJAX
No O'Reilly :( but lots of books
Google
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh, so you recommend all the tutorials found on Google? Alright then...
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

W3Schools has a great entry-level tuto here as well. You probably glanced at it since it's high on search results, but I'll vouch for it - I've used it for noobs at work.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
Oh, so you recommend all the tutorials found on Google? Alright then...

I recommend books, specifically O'Reilly books, first and foremost. But it seems people these days aren't willing to actually pay for a good book on a topic they're interested in learning, so I also recommend online tutorials to get started.

And no, I don't recommend all tutorials on the Internet. As with any search, you're supposed to use your good judgment in selecting what to read.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was hoping to narrow down the search to tutorials recommended by experienced JavaScript/Ajax users.

Those O'Reilly books look and are awesome! I think I'm going to buy them... (That probably means I don't need those Google tutorials anyway :lol: )

I read the excerpt they provide there and... ECMAScript sounds interesting and the book sounds like it will actually help :D
  • alex89
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Western Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've learnt from giving myself projects to do, and searching for specific solutions to the problems I encounter. It's a very steep learning curve, but it's more interesting than reading through tutorials and following their examples.
  • gkumar
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • gkumar

Post 3+ Months Ago

w3schools.com is the best tutorials to learn AJAX and jQuery and JavaScript and other langauges.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

gkumar wrote:
w3schools.com is the best tutorials to learn AJAX and jQuery and JavaScript and other langauges.

You had me up to jQuery. They don't have a jQuery tutorial - nor would it likely be the best if they did.
  • mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have access to the Queens Central Library and hence a lot of books on js and ajax. There are a lot of not so good ones -- nb. I haven't looked at any by O'Reilly.

The best js one I have seen is "Pro Javascript Techniques" (John Resig). Altho it is not for beginners, if you do some web tutorials you should be able to deal with it.

"Professional Javascript for Developers" by Zakas is also great and at 800 pages will take you from beginner* thru the DOM model into AJAX. He does a great job of documenting the DOM model and how it works (eg bubbling), which it is surprising how understanding stuff like that can save time trying to understand certain browser behaviours and the challenges they present.

I'm pretty new to AJAX and I really like the use of the prototype library. Altho it is sort of hefty (like 130k), it is very widely used I think (eg, it is part of Ruby on Rails) so should stay well maintained, and has functions that handle the XTMLRequestObject (or what's it called...) for you doing the various browser specific things that need to be done -- which you can write that stuff yourself but really who wants to bother...so for example you have the "Ajax.Updater" function which will replace the innerHTML of something (a div for example) with another page (well, you don't really want a whole page with the headers, etc; a file with some mark-up in is fine), and pass that page parameters in a CGI style query string. Which if you use php (I presume) there is a way to process a query string simply to fill in variables. So you have little "partial pages" of HTML that you can swap in and out of divs, because you can make server side requests without having to refresh the entire page.

ps. ECMAScript is javascript. The former is the "proper" name.

* IF you can already program in another language; there is an extensive set of documentation on basic things like data types, functions, objects, etc, and occasional examples to get the syntax, but no "how-to" tutorial type material.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know that ECMAScript is JavaScript... that is why I used it :)

I think I'll go with the O'Reilly books for starters, and probably will buy the 'Pro Javascript Techniques' to top it off... and I might get the 'Professional Javascript for Developers' and any other good sounding books on JavaScript... it has proven to be a little tougher for me to learn JavaScript than PHP was...
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Anyway. I just now placed my orders on Amazon.com and am going to wait 5-9 business days to receive them... then it's going to be fun!!!
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should pick up on javascript pretty fast with your background in php. and once you get it you won't have any problems whatsoever with jquery AJAX. I haven't the slightest clue about javascript but can run ajax scripts with jquery without any problems. jquery makes it a no-brainer.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

mindfullsilence wrote:
you should pick up on javascript pretty fast with your background in php. and once you get it you won't have any problems whatsoever with jquery AJAX. I haven't the slightest clue about javascript but can run ajax scripts with jquery without any problems. jquery makes it a no-brainer.

Awesome! Thanks for the positive input... kind of needed some encouragement after a day of negative events :(

I'm looking forward to my books.... just checked my paypal account and it said that one of my two book purchases was completed and the other is still pending... hopefully I get JavaScript before I get the AJAX book since I'm planning to learn JavaScript before AJAX :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts