Learning to do database websites

• StevCarls
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am very interested in learning to do database websites but I am not sure what all I should learn and how exactly I should start. I am learning MS Access and am planning on learning Visual Basic. Does anyone else have any recommendations?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Sabu
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Sabu

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, if you're sure you want to continue using ms access databases, your best option would be to learn ASP (whic is quite similar to visual basic script)

Otherwise, your most popular option would be PHP, with MySQL. Look them up.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay

To develop websites (database driven or not) you need to know
1.HTML
2.CSS
and maybe a little javascript to do some really nifty client side stuff

For DB programming
1.Learn how to normalize a database
2.Learn SQL (standard set of instructions for a DBMS)

For dynamically creating webpages look into
1.ASP - (microsoft technology, uses VBScript, Javascript (JS))
2.PHP

DBMS available to you (popular ones anyway)
1.MS SQL - microsoft $
2.MySQL - opensource

Access is okay to learn on but for some reason I prefer learning the hard way ie MySQL through a command prompt. Kinda makes you appreciate your gui tools alot more, also gives you the ability to improvise on your SQL statements.

VB is not really used for web unless you are building com components (might be wrong here).

The stuff you are learning now is more for standalone apps

Best of luck anyways.
  • StevCarls
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Rabid Dog wrote:
Okay

To develop websites (database driven or not) you need to know
1.HTML
2.CSS
and maybe a little javascript to do some really nifty client side stuff

For DB programming
1.Learn how to normalize a database
2.Learn SQL (standard set of instructions for a DBMS)

For dynamically creating webpages look into
1.ASP - (microsoft technology, uses VBScript, Javascript (JS))
2.PHP

DBMS available to you (popular ones anyway)
1.MS SQL - microsoft $
2.MySQL - opensource

Access is okay to learn on but for some reason I prefer learning the hard way ie MySQL through a command prompt. Kinda makes you appreciate your gui tools alot more, also gives you the ability to improvise on your SQL statements.

Can you possibly explain more about SQL because i don't really know very much about it. Also, what would be the pros and cons between ASP and PHP for making dynamic websites? I thought I read something about ASP not working with Macs or something like that.
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say learn PHP and MySQL
  • Sabu
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Sabu

Post 3+ Months Ago

StevCarls wrote:
Can you possibly explain more about SQL because i don't really know very much about it. Also, what would be the pros and cons between ASP and PHP for making dynamic websites? I thought I read something about ASP not working with Macs or something like that.

okay.. both ASP and PHP are server side programming languages, which means all the dirty work is done by the server (the hosting computer) before the output is sent to the user.

It may be true that ASP doesn't work on a mac, but you only need to worry about that if you happen to be using a mac as your hosting computer. Which, as I've heard, isn't much of a good idea in the first place.
  • zudo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • zudo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pick up, "Begining php4" by wrox, it's a very good book, and teeaches you mysql, also, after you have php installed, you can install phpmyadmin which is a graphical interface for sql, that's what I use.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if you are looking at running it on a Macintosh I guess you should go with PHP.

ASP is a microsoft based technology that is better suited for Microsoft Servers (IIS and PWS).

What is nice about PHP is the built in support for MySQL - I'm not to sure about how difficult it is to set up on a Mac (not a big fan - can't deal with all the pretty little icons an NO RIGHT CLICK :evil: ).

To run ASP on the Mac you are probably going to have to find some third party engines to run it.

But do some research and see which one suits your needs.

Summary:
ASP is easy to learn and will get you up and running in no time (on a PC at least)

PHP has a bit of a steeper learning curve but the benefits are more rewarding once you do grasp it. PHP i would say is stronger than ASP in the fact that it allows more freedom in your code.

Good Luck and remember that if one isn't working for you the other one probably will.

http://www.mysql.com
http://www.php.net
  • Rogue Forces
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Kentucky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use Oracle 10g and Java so I cast my vote for them. I know that with the release of 10g, Oracle now has full Mac support though I use UNIX.

It might not be a bad idea to take a look at some non-language specific information regarding database and website connection logic before you dive in and start coding.

One of the most important but often overlooked aspects of web development is the necessity for scalability. Otherwise you end up writing the same code over and over. (i.e. get the bulk of the DB work done with stored procedures, separate the layer of application logic from the web interface logic, etc.)

Good luck and have fun!
  • Bladesling
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Bladesling
  • Loc: Utah

Post 3+ Months Ago

I personally love php and mysql... really it was simple to learn for me.. i
just picked up a project and haven't left it since...

I am now decent in php and I would say that it owns....

Most of the hosting servers out there are much cheaper when you find *nix servers vs the iss servers...

php has tons of functions that you will spent the rest of your life trying to find uses for but never can use them all ever... it is just that good :-p

debugging for me seems simple..

umm ya.. my vote would be with php/mysql
  • StevCarls
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, i wasn't really planning on using a Mac as a web server, i guess what I thought was that people with macs couldn't go to websites that had asp.
  • StevCarls
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Does anyone have any good book or website suggestions for learning PHP and SQL?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Macs "run" ASP pages just fine, whoever said that didn't know what they were talking about (see post above by Sabu).

You have a number of options here, as a beginner. First, Access is a good way to learn some basic concepts, but don't get too tied into it. It has a number of problems once you go from personal database to web-enabled, multi-user database, primarily (and most importantly) Access has a single-user read lock, meaning only one user can have an active query at a time. That's ok if you're the only one using it, but if you have more than on user at a time trying to run a query, which really only takes a second, but on a busy site you will have overlapping querys, only the first one gets through, all other get a File Locked error...

Access's SQL isn't really very nice either... Like other MS WYSIWYG programs, it makes things much more complicated than they need to be. I would strongly suggest you start your database learning with mySQL instead of access. You can get some descent GUI tools to help you (the command line is not for the faint of heart!), I personally like SQLYog.

SQL (structured query language), is very simple on the surface, but can be complicated. Also, while there is a baseline standard, different databases will have extended SQL calls that are proprietary, and others calls that have been implemented on a few, but not all databases. Be careful of those, but unless you're using a really major expensive system, you shouldn't have a problem (expensive == Oracle, MS SQL Server...).

An example of SQL: SELECT * FROM atable WHERE id=1;

This askes the database to find all rows (*) in the table named "atable" where the value of the column "id" is equal to the integer 1.

For more information than this on SQL, I suggest you go to http://www.mysql.com/

Install the database and some GUI tool and start playing around. Install a webserver (Apache, IIS or Xitami) and put PHP (http://www.php.net/) on it. You can get plenty of simple database scripts on the web, just to test.

The best advice I can give you is to start very simple, learn the basics, and start tweaking a little once you understand what you're doing. Then tweak a little more... over time, you'll sudden realize you actually know what you're doing =]

.c
  • Rat
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: desk

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.w3schools.com
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

StevCarls wrote:
well, i wasn't really planning on using a Mac as a web server, i guess what I thought was that people with macs couldn't go to websites that had asp.

That is the beauty with server side scripts!

If your client is Mac, PC or Nix flavoured it doesn't matter, because the server processes the page and sends it to the client so the client machine does no processing ( well besides parsing the HTML and DHTML)
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

StevCarls wrote:
Does anyone have any good book or website suggestions for learning PHP and SQL?

I have started writing a basic guide to SQL, and I am trying to make it DBMS-independant and easy to understand, so I think its definately worth a look (I'm biased of cours :lol: )

Here it is:
Newbie's guide to an SQL query

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts