Mail archiving/restoring in linux??

• akaash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • akaash
  • Loc: Gujurat,India

Post 3+ Months Ago

My requirements are as follows:

In our company "openwebmail" is the software used as mail client for the intranet website and the mail server is sendmail redhat linux 7.2.

The backup server is running redhat linux 7.2

"openwebmail" is written is perl.
It is accessible from the Internet explorer.

I have to develop an archiving facility for the mails. The mails should be archived automatically on per user basis when the quota granted to the user exceeds and should also be archived explicitly by user if he wants.

I have to archive the mails on the backup server mentioned above.

How should I begin? What should be the programming language and which platform should I use?
Is there a need for a database backend?

Please help me out,
akaash...
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

With respect, this project appears to be beyond your understanding of the services in question. Especially considering the potential importance of user data.

What program is enforcing a quota? The mail server? the mail client (openwebmail)? or the filesystem?

Also note, if you archive mail to the backup server, it is no longer a backup server. You should be using a tape archive system.

You need to start by determining what programs are storing what and where. Then you need to decide how you can work with a quota system to selectively remove messages to another storage medium. You'll also need to develop a mechanism to return archived messages to a user's mailbox. Then you'll need to determine how the system is administrated (i.e. scheduled task for a scripting lanauge, or an extension to your web based mail program).

If comand line utilities can manage your mailboxes, then use the Bourne shell to automate the process. If you must go through the mailboxes yourself, try Perl. In either case, schedule them in cron and allow users to recall messages through the web mail account.

Seriously, this is extremely complicated. If this project is your responsibility, I strongly suggest you purchase a really big hard disk and let users store whatever the heck they want! Think of it this way: a new 200GB drive is a few hundred bucks, a system administrators time to set this up could be a few thousand.

Either way, best of luck.
  • akaash
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • akaash
  • Loc: Gujurat,India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for ur reply,

The backup server is running redhat linux 7.2 but for my purpose u think it as a storage medium only...

The administrator is enforcing the quota.

The question is will i be able to backup mail per user basis using shell script only or do i have to resort to perl for this purpose..

with thanks in advance...
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before you go any further, does this help?
http://openwebmail.com/openwebmail/help ... ng_up.html
  • rjmthezonenet
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

It appears Open WebMail moves messages to it's own mailboxes. Since I don't know anything about Open WebMail, I definitely can't help you manage that data it stores.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts