multiple sql queries

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why even use backquotes on the table & field names? I never do, never a problem.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

It doesn't matter either way. I don't use them either. I think some SQL builder applications will add them in automatically. Also, it could be that more complex SQL queries may need them, but I've never run into that myself, but then again, I try pretty hard to avoid complex SQL queries =]

.c
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

mine isnt too complex really is it?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope, not complex at all.

When I mean complex, I'm thinking of multiple join statements because you've got your data spread between 10 different related tables... Now, it's not a bad thing to do it that way, but it gets pretty complex when need to list items where you have an index table with an item id, a description id, a price id, an in stock id.. then a table for each of those that has to be joined and selected from while not selecting all data from each for each item in the index table... heh (yes... I'm speaking from experience... I had a client with an existing site that worked like that, but worse. We ended up migrating his data to a new database and totally rebuilding his backend... I felt like hunting down and murdering the moron that built the site... I think some people build things not because it's the best way, but because it lets them brag about how complicated it was... pffft).

.c
  • Nem
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Nem
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

lolll hehe.... ul matey
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nah Carnix what happened is that the row types where set to not null and had no default value should the insert be null or have no value. I think this was causing MySQL to kick the insert statement.

At least that is the way I figured it. Can't be sure what went wrong.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 36 posts