MySQL any user's question

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I understand this correctly but I'm not sure.

Just to test out my errors I put in the wrong user and it still connected but gave me the error for not being able to connect to a database that was there.

I went to phpmyadmin and found out that there are two users named "Any" (and they are in red). So this is why it is connecting to MySQL with any user at all? Just the fact that it is not granted any permission is why it isn't allowing it to connect to the database?
  • Mr OBrien
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: down a creek without a paddle

Post 3+ Months Ago

The two user accounts marked Any are for testing purposes. However you should remove them for security reasons Because anybody can access your test databases as long as they are present and create tables of any size. This could pose a problem as anybody could create and access tables of any size they wish.

My understanding is limited but it is to my understanding that it is best you remove these accounts from mysql.db for obvious security reasons.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looking at their privileges, they don't have any privileges at all... They can't select, update, insert, delete, file or anything to any of the databases there. Anyway, this is on my local machine in XAMPP so no one else has any access to it. Thanks for the heads up!
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

Besides I just found out that MySQL is deprecated. I'm going to have to move to PDO or MySQLi... Which one would you guys recommend?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

MySQLi. Unless you want to experiment with database engines other than MySQL.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

That initial statement is an oxymoron.

You connected to the DB but weren't allowed to connect to the DB?

Did you mean you could connect to the server and not to the schema on the server?

Remember that user privileges need to be stipulated for the client machines that are allowed to use them, 127.0.0.1, localhost, myserver.com and then the catch all, %
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey

Post 3+ Months Ago

So lol... I did write an oxymoron without realizing it. I meant I connected to the server but wasn't able to access the DB... so I guess I didn't connect to the DB but was able to connect to the server with a username that I didn't have setup on my server.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts