MySQL Control Center (or: MySQL Administrator Sucks)

• this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

If any of the rest of you are fed up with having to have 50 instances of MySQL Administrator or the MySQL Query Browser open, I've managed to get MySQL Control Center (The old, vastly superior, version that they ceased development on) to compile on Fedora Core 4 i386.

If anyone is interested in helping me get this code stable, it would be much appreciated. I attempted to contact the original project lead at Sourceforge to no avail (figures, since they probably work for MySQL AB anyway). I've also requested formally to take over the project.

There's a lot of work that needs to be done to it for it to truly be stable, it won't compile on 64 bit machines and I haven't even tried it on any other OS.

If any of you want my tarball, you can get it here: http://www.ribosi.com/down/mysqlcc-0.9.5.3.tar.gz

If you're able to get this to compile on any architecture, or if you're able to successfully create an RPM from it, please tell me about it in a PM along with what you did to create it. I do intend to properly fork this as mentioned above. The response from Sourceforge will dictate whether I need to use my own servers for cvs or not, so I'm holding off on setting that up until then. As soon as that decision has been made, I'll post the information here.

NOTE: If you can get the 0.9.2 version (available at sourceforge.net - search for mysqlcc) compiled and installed on your system, you don't need this and it won't work for you anyway.

Also, the 0.9.5 version should be treated as an alpha release as it has NOT been thoroughly tested and is in fact known to not operate on certain architecture. Only attempt to use this if you are fully aware of what that implies.

If you use Windows, you can still use the 0.9.4 version without any modification. If you've never used this, you should give it a try. You may download that from here if you can't find it anywhere else: http://www.ribosi.com/down/mysqlcc-0.9.4-win32.zip

Before anyone asks, I posted this here because you're the people who use this (or used to) and I thought you might like knowing that it's coming back.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

By the way, logging into MySQL 5 with this tool you might have to set the password back to the old password hashing version.

Visit the mysql homepage for further details or google it
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I plan on building in support to use the new password hashing (by checking the connected server version)
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool, going to compile a Windows version?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually, I just did some checking. The password sending functions must be stored in the MySQL libraries, not in the MySQL Control Center source.

I just connected from my FC4 box to a 5.0.18 MySQL Server using this.

*edit* if you're using Windows, you should be able to use the 0.9.4 version posted above
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just out of curiosity, what's the benefit of using this over, say, phpMyAdmin?

I'm just curious. I've been using phpMyAdmin for YEARS, and have never used the mysql administrator or the query browser. Every so often, I'll use the command line client, on linux and windows, but never the administrator or the query browser.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think it is mainly response times. I found PHPMyAdmin to be a bit slow at times.

The CC also provides a convenient windows interface that some people are more accustom to.

(This is my opinion :))

P.S. I have started development on what I would like to become the super cheese of MySQL front ends and I was hoping anyone who is interested could email me ideas on what you would find useful in the tool. I have also toyed with the idea of putting an ERD facility in it as well.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, then there's the fact that you don't have to be running a MySQL administration tool on your web server, which helps with security. I don't allow phpMyAdmin on any of my personal web servers just because of the severe risk if the thing is ever exploited.

Another reason for this would be php's max execution times and upload file size settings, which restrict how large of a data dump you can up/download from phpMyAdmin. Using a client based administration tool will allow you to take dumps of any size and import them.

The MySQL Administrator does provide some nice functionality which I'd like to provide within mysqlcc - things like settings to allow old passwords, views management and the like.

The question isn't really one of whether or not to use the command line. I still use it sometimes. However, if I'm creating a new database with 50 tables, I'm not going to either sit here and type in all of those create table statements manually or go through the 900 submits in phpMyAdmin to get it done when I can use a tool which allows me to create databases, users and tables in seconds graphically - and which doesn't commit those tables until you hit save - and in which you can construct multiple tables simultaneously (that is, have several table editors open at the same time).

R.D., instead of creating a front-end from scratch, why not work with this? This app is already known and the code is open enough to allow you to insert just about any functionality you could imagine. Plus, it'll run under Windows or Linux with little modification. I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that 2 developers could create 2 good applications to do a certain job, but 2 developers working on the same application will invariably turn out better code.
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

this213 wrote:
Well, then there's the fact that you don't have to be running a MySQL administration tool on your web server, which helps with security. I don't allow phpMyAdmin on any of my personal web servers just because of the severe risk if the thing is ever exploited.

I don't run phpMyAdmin on my servers either, and I don't allow direct connections to the database (except from my web servers).

What I do is set up an SSH connection with tunnels, then run phpmyadmin locally.
When you set up tunnels, it allows you to set a local port to listen on (I use 13306 generally) and a remote port to forward it to (3306 for mysql), Then you set up your local phpMyAdmin to connect to localhost on 13306, using your mysql server username and password. The ssh connection takes the traffic on 13306, forwards it through SSH, then the SSH daemon on the server routes that traffic to localhost:3306. No open ports, no running mysql admin and secure communication.
The only time I experience slow responses are on really complex queries or when the server is experiencing really heavy traffic.

The above trick can be used for any port based connections as well, like FTP . You can set up your FTP daemon to accept connections only from localhost, then tunnel your FTP connection through SSH. You maintain FTP functionality without having your FTP port exposed to the world.
  • Vincent
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

i hate to bring up old topics, but would this program your attempting to make be like a bunped up version of Mysql Administrator and Mysql Query Browser combined?
  • redwavestudios
  • Born
  • Born
  • redwavestudios
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Post 3+ Months Ago

hey this213!

Thanks for posting links to executables.
We tried to find them.
MySql Administrator - is just so much slower.

Within our high demend & testing enviroment (ovenight sometimes) developments we need fastest tool avaiable and MYSQL CONTROL CENTER 0.9.4 - is doing this jsut right. I strongly recommend to any database developers for click "click & change" type. Also, customizble GUI colors is nice feature as well.

Cheers to all.
Ciril K. | lead designer
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry, haven't been able to give this much time lately.

Vincent wrote:
i hate to bring up old topics, but would this program your attempting to make be like a bunped up version of Mysql Administrator and Mysql Query Browser combined?

Not sure what you mean by "bumped up". MySQL Control Center was originally developed by MySQL AB (the company that created the MySQL server). They dropped this in favor of the MySQL Administrator and MySQL Query Browser combo (which I find ridiculous). I'm not "attempting to make" anything, I'm merely adding in support for platforms which MySQL AB didn't build in (which may or may not have the affect of making it incompatible for platforms the original version already runs on).

On that note, I now have a 64 bit version, available here: http://www.ribosi.com/down/mysqlcc-0.9.6-src.tar.bz2

This version requires that your libraries be installed in /usr/lib64/mysql/. If your 64 libs are somewhere else, just let me know and I'll add your path to the checks (otherwise it won't configure on your system). This version will also run on 32 bit systems as the checks for 64 bit are made after 32 bit checks fail. If anyone cares, I'm checking these on FC4, FC5 and CentOS systems, both 32 and 64 bit.

Sourceforge is giving me the project, but takeover takes 2 weeks to complete.
  • rolandj
  • Born
  • Born
  • rolandj

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I try to use MySQL CC on a Windows 2003 server, I get the error message "ERROR 1046: Table 'shogear.1' doesn't exist" when trying to view a table but will still show the table content. But any attempts at deleting or editing records doesn't do anything and gives the same error message. Does anybody know how to solve this?
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a known bug when used with mysql 5. I'm working on it now.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

This issue has been fixed, you can get the source package at http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=64385
  • Lizzard
  • quirky redhead
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an interesting issue, I have googled it and not really found a lot of info. There is an identical question on the mySQL site, however the 'fix' didn't work for me....

I am trying to reverse engineer all of our mySQL db's (but don't have the commercial edition) I got to the 15th one and suddenly, the "Execute Backup Now" button is greyed out.

I have been using it to b/u my db's for a couple of months. I am using version 4.0.24 on Debian 10sarge2. mySQL administrator is installed on a windows XP pro machine.

Can anyone help?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts