MySQL linking plus updating questions?

• jshaulis
  • Student
  • Student
  • jshaulis

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, I am pretty new at MySQL but here it goes,

I have 2 tables, one that has
$query="CREATE TABLE products (id int(6) NOT NULL auto_increment,fname varchar(15) NOT NULL,lname varchar(15) NOT NULL,stage2 varchar(20) NOT NULL,itemnumber varchar(20) NOT NULL,quanity varchar(20) NOT NULL,email varchar(30) NOT NULL,location varchar(30) NOT NULL,PRIMARY KEY (id),UNIQUE id (id),KEY id_2 (id))";

In the 2nd table I want to have 3 items, itemnumber, quanity, and descrition.
I want itemnumber from the 1st table to refer to the 2nd table and update the quanity. For example, If I order 3 of item #12345 then i want it to update the #12345 to 3. And then say in a week someone else orders 4 of #12345 then i want it to change to 7. How would I go about linking these tables together. Any help would be nice. Thanks in advance,

Justin
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tannu4u
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think in the case of MySql u have to use ur coding language to do this.Everytime u have to read the corresponding entry from the second table and add the entry from the first table and then insert the result in the second table.u can make a function for this it will be easier for u to do this with a function.If u get any other answer then please post it here,Bye....
  • jshaulis
  • Student
  • Student
  • jshaulis

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello again,

I am using PHP for a lang... In all of the tutorals i have red, it says you have to link the tables together using a common term. This is really messing me up because none of them really go into detail of how to do this. I am confused, does this need to be done or not?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts