mysql table

• 360Varial
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • 360Varial

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just installed MySQL. The manual says that when I type mysqlshow, I should see the databases that I have. It says that I should have one named "mysql" and one named "test."

These were suppose to have been created automatically with the binary Windows installation. When I type mysqlshow, all I see is the [DATABASES] lable and then "test" but no database named "mysql." I've searched up and down the manual and other sources but I can't seem to find a step that I may have missed. I'm running it on XP by the way. What am I doing wrong? Is it ok to just ignore this part?

Also, I'm confused as heck about MySQL the server and mysql client program.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Sabu
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Sabu

Post 3+ Months Ago

I never really understood the whole command line interface for mysql, or even where to type it all.

However, I can advise that you should get your paws on a copy of phpMyAdmin and run that off your webserver to connect to it, it's unnervingly useful and will show all your table information (and let you create new ones)
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sabu wrote:
I never really understood the whole command line interface for mysql, or even where to type it all.

However, I can advise that you should get your paws on a copy of phpMyAdmin and run that off your webserver to connect to it, it's unnervingly useful and will show all your table information (and let you create new ones)

I think that learning SQL through a command line is better than jumping into the Interface based options. Gives an understanding of how the SQL works.

Don't know if you know this but there is also a Control Center out for mysql/ Similiar to MS SQL enteprise manager.

360Varial:

I have noticed the manual tends to assume that you are running Linux.
The equivalent SQL command is SHOW DATABASE or something like that.

The mysql table is important because it contains the user info etc for the DB. Also make sure you are connected to the DBMS with the correct privilages.
  • _nYght
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • _nYght

Post 3+ Months Ago

something commands useful in mysql are
show databases;
show tables; show all tables in the database in use
show create table table_name; shows the sql sentence which create the table table_name

how even the best reference is the mysql site
:P

http://www.mysql.org
  • 360Varial
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • 360Varial

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everyone keeps directing me to mysql.com. Their manual smokes the big one! Thanks. :roll:

Anyway, I've maded past this part already. I'm now looking for good tutorials on the pieces that make up a database and how they all fit together.
8) Thanks for the advice.
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

360Varial wrote:
Everyone keeps directing me to mysql.com. Their manual smokes the big one! Thanks. :roll:.

It's definitely something to get used to (as is php's), but you'll be grateful for the advice later on when you get proficient at reading cryptic advice from programmers. :lol:
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

gsv2com wrote:
360Varial wrote:
Everyone keeps directing me to mysql.com. Their manual smokes the big one! Thanks. :roll:.

It's definitely something to get used to (as is php's), but you'll be grateful for the advice later on when you get proficient at reading cryptic advice from programmers. :lol:

Remember when I first read the MySQL Manual (WHAT?!?!). Huh don't go anywhere without it now!
  • gsv2com
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Nippon

Post 3+ Months Ago

No kidding. I went out and bought the pocket reference for mySQL, so now I always have it on hand. The other book is just too dang BIG! lol.
  • Sabu
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Sabu

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found the book "learn sql in [20] days" (can't remember the exact days) was fantastic. It's not mysql specific, but for all the various selection syntax and other fiddly bits it was great.

Although most of the stuff I need.. I search for as I go :oops:
  • Tannu4u
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

360Varial
I think that after connecting to the Mysql u must type

SHOW DATABASES;

to see all tha databases.

to see all the tables in a database u type
use <databasename>

u must provide a database name

then throw the command

show tables;

for more u can confirm MySql document.Its very useful u must consult it.I think it will be better to read it thoroughly.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've never had a problem with mysql.com. I learned nearly everything I know about mysql from that site. I think it's a great reasource, as is php.net. You just have to think a little bit and pay attention...

.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts