MySQL Uses

• isolvesystems
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • isolvesystems
  • Loc: US

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am currently running phpbb forum, which uses MySQL. I only have one MySQL for my shared hosting account. Can I use the same MySQL for other purposes like Mailing list?

Thanks. :roll:
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, you can do a lot more than just run a single application off a single database. Right now, I have three sites running off a single database - mostly due to the fact that they share some common data.

Most of my other sites have their own databases, purely for easier organization.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moving this to programming
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks ATNO, I didn't even spot which area it was in when I replied.
  • isolvesystems
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • isolvesystems

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks guys. So, Does it mean I can have two or more instances of phpbb running using the same MySQL?

Thanks. :D
  • 3dmk
  • 3dmk
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am pretty sure you can. It allows you to change the table prefix for the tables used to store data when using the installer. if you change the prefix to something different than the one you used for the first install, it will create the new tables and they should both work fine. I have had three instances of phpBB running in one db on my site in the past. I have since moved on to multiple db's for this stuff for organizational purposes. :)
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup, like 3dmk says, you just have to specify a different prefix when you install.. Same with PostNuke and many other scripts.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yep -- or if your host gives you the opportunity just create a second database for it. I know, with SQL 2000 I can create as many databases as I want, but if you're dealing with a host and not your own server you're limited to what they give you.

//Edit - strike that -- I just reread where you're limited to one. But the aforementioned solutions will work. You just need to be concious of the disc space they allow you.
  • isolvesystems
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • isolvesystems

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot.

The following are given by the hosting provider.
DatabaseName User Name Password Host Name

May I know what prefix are we talking about here? Is it the database name? I don't think I can change it.

Thanks. :shock:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

no, the prefix is part of the table names your script uses (You'll see it mentioned if you attempt to install another copy of phpBB).

I suggest you look up a MySQL Introduction on Google to give you a little more info on what you're asking here, as it's a little beyond the scope of a forum thread - there are people who write 3,000 page books on this topic :)
  • isolvesystems
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • isolvesystems

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks a lot for all your helps.
I found Matt's MySQL Panel, which solves my problems.

You guys really do a good job in supporting us. Does Moderator get pay? Just curious. :roll:
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nope, not a penny, but I'm sure BigWeb's probly got a donate button hangin' around somewhere if you're offering, hehehe.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts