Need help creating social networking website

• BeholdtheMan
  • Born
  • Born
  • BeholdtheMan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone, I am new to web-design and I wanted to create a social networking site similar to many current dating websites (but with many differences). I do not know any programing languages or scripting, and am totally new to the world of website creation.

Can anyone tell me the best places to start to get information on how to create a website (from scratch) that is similar to hotornot.com, match.com or facebook.com but with many differences? What sort of languages do sites like match.com or facebook.com or other networking or dating websites use?

I plan to do major changes to the core aspects, so I would need to know how to make various variables and the skeleton of such websites different. I need to create a site from scratch, basically.

I have First page 2006 and Dreamweaver. I do not know HTML very well, and know no Javascript.

Can anyone tell me where to start and where to finish?
What links would help?
What should I be reading?
What resources are there for me to begin with (and finish with)?
What sort of scripting would be required to make a social networking website with all sorts of novel characteristics for friendlists, adding friends, signing up, posting content, etc. ?
I want to make novel and varying logic rules for the website, determining who and who can't do what and how and when they can do it, and what happens when they do it and what doesn't happen. That sort of thing.

Thank you for the help, in advance.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

you have a lot of learning to do..
things you will need know
php
mysql
html
css

it will take months or years(for hours and hours a day) to learn to the point where you can make something near as big as facebook.
  • BeholdtheMan
  • Born
  • Born
  • BeholdtheMan

Post 3+ Months Ago

CowKiller wrote:
you have a lot of learning to do..
things you will need know
php
mysql
html
css

it will take months or years(for hours and hours a day) to learn to the point where you can make something near as big as facebook.

Thanks.

I have a good idea of how html and css works, but I still need to learn a lot about them.

Php and mysql...I have no idea how they work.

I wanted to test out some stuff with php, but I don't know how to enable it on my computer. What I mean is that when I try to view texts in php format I can't figure out how to make this an actual webpage or anything like that.
I downloaded a sample networking website with all of the php files and everything, but I can't figure out even how to see what it looks like in a typical web browser or anything like that.

So I need a starting point. Can anyone help me?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts