Do we need PHPBB for Php FORUMS???

• cynical_tear
  • cynical_tear
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello everyone..

I'm back with another question :?: :?: :?:

Actually I am going to make a FORUM BASED WEBSITE.. As I am doing research work over this stuff at the moment, I came across a thing called PHPBB... I've read that phpBB is used for making forums and all.. Is it necessary to have a knowledge about phpbb to create a forum related website....

As I'm working very hard on this new venture of mine so I'm ready to learn it if it will help me to create a good thing.... While googling i came across http://www.phpbb.com/support/documentation/3.0/ website which provides tutorial on phpbb...

Is this tutorial good??? If anyone of you have any idea about this thing then please do let me know... And I'll also like to ask about difference between PhpBB 2 and PhpBB 3... does it really matter if i use any of these??
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This site uses phpBB, my site uses phpBB and many many other sites us phpBB :D ... it's one of the most popular free open-source forum systems.

To just create a forum, then you don't need any knowledge of even PHP... but if you want to create other pages outside of phpBB but still keep it integrated with the system, then you need to know a little phpBB... they even tell you how to add additional pages to phpBB and keep it fully integrated.
  • cynical_tear
  • cynical_tear
  • Loc: India

Post 3+ Months Ago

if i use phpbb then wont the look of my website be similar to other websites which uses phpbb... i mean i have seen plenty of websites which are based on phpbb having same layout/theme.. similarly there are plenty of website which are almost identical to each other in every respect as they also use vBuletin ... i have a theme in my mind and want to use it....
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Styling them is easy... you do need some phpBB knowledge IF you are going to edit the HTML... I mostly edited the CSS only on my phpBB version... I did end up (at the end) to edit some HTML as well, but that kept to a minimum.

You could pay for someone to do it for you or you could learn phpBB :) to do it yourself...

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts