In need of some good php / mySQL tutes.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

This goes back to the Football Pool script I'm writing to be compatable with phpBB. I'm making some good progress and so far things are working well. I'm tackling one of my bigger tasks this week, and have been searching for some good tutes, and haven't had much success in finding one that would provide the info I'm looking for.

Specifically, I need to learn and understand how to retrieve information from a form (The weekly football picks), write that information to a database table, then retrieve the information and write it to a new page that shows all of the players picks for the week. That's step one.

Step two is to run some calculations after the weekly game results are inputed, to tabulate the players standings on a win/loss scoring system.

Step three is to calculate a season-to-date standings for the entire football year.

I'm not asking for anyone to tell me how to do it. Just any good reference material related to the above tasks would be appreciated.

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I truely don't know where to find that stuff, you'd have to pick over alot of different information for those but you basically need this:

For step one:
PHP Form submition
MYSQL update or insert command (personal prefrence http://www.mysql.com)

For step two:
PHP Form submition
Basic math functions.
MYSQL select command
MYSQL update (I would imagine your players current information even if all 0 would still exist.)

For step three:
Not sure what you mean...

Search in google for those things, or go to the appropriate website. If you still don't have any luck I can explain most of those for you.
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here is a small tutorial and example that works with forms and PHP. It might help you:

http://cs-people.bu.edu/stevec/cs101/01 ... forms.html
http://cs-people.bu.edu/stevec/cs101/01 ... _calc.html

Here is another one that also works with forms, PHP, and MySQL some:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/21/index3a.html
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's all helpful, but somewhat similar to the type of things I have been finding. I semi-sorta understand the process. I guess experimenting with things will help me discover the missing answers.

b_heyer -- as far as Step 3, what I mean is that I want to add each player's current week results to the previous week/s results for a cummulative total and so on throughout the football year, so that at the end I have an accumulation of the results of the entire year to determine the winner (player with most wins).

I mostly understand the logic of what needs to be done -- it's just the methods that will take some experimenting with.

Again, thanks for the links and tips.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

ah ok, thats just more math/mysql, do a google search for those i listed above, one is bound to yield a tutorial
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been, and will continue to. I hate being a novice at stuff, but I've been wanting to learn this for some time. I think I took on a project that is over my head, but what the heck! *lol I have a copy (link) to the mySQL manual and php manual and have gleaned much info from those.

They're just a little techy, and although I have been , at times, accused of being a geek, I'm looking for a straight shooter type tute.

If you happen accross one, let me know.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts