Newbie Please help regarding Installing PhpBB Message forums

• shane
  • shane
  • Loc: salt lake city

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently download phpbb 2 and installed it into my yahoo webhost. I then created a sub-directory . I can see the PHPBB data config and admin config page but I have screwed something up as far as creating a data base inside the website, because when I fill out the info and click "Start Install" it comes back with PHPBB: Critical Error could not connect to database."

I nee all the help setting up my database as I can. I am willing to send whoever can help me a ton of crap from the band this forum is going to be dedicated too. PLEASE HELP> YOU ARE MY LAST HOPE!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which plan are you on? You need to have at least the standard package to have a database and php support

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/bzinfo/p ... h2feat.php
  • shane
  • shane

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Which plan are you on? You need to have at least the standard package to have a database and php support

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/bzinfo/p ... h2feat.php

I am on the small business package.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Things to check:

1. I know it sounds obvious, but make sure you've created the database and given it an authorized user and password.
2. Double check the information you are entering in to make sure it matches your database access info. In other words location of the database (typically localhost) user and password.

Given your error message there is something incorrect about what you are entering for the database connection information. Find that and the rest of the installation should be pretty painless.
  • shane
  • shane

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Things to check:

1. I know it sounds obvious, but make sure you've created the database and given it an authorized user and password.
2. Double check the information you are entering in to make sure it matches your database access info. In other words location of the database (typically localhost) user and password.

Given your error message there is something incorrect about what you are entering for the database connection information. Find that and the rest of the installation should be pretty painless.

The hardest part of it has been I am confused with the database set up. It tells me to make sure to use "mysql" not Localhost, I have a user name and password set it say's the database is activated. but yet something is wrong.

where should I point my database at the the name of the sub-directory for instance WNA is the subdirectory do I need to point it at that or the install.php file?
  • shane
  • shane

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Things to check:

another problem is, I am not quite sure what the name of my database is.I know that soiunds of but, would it be just the name of the domain?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

You don't need to "point" your database anywhere. If it's created that's cool. It should probably just be localhost. I'm not sure who told you it should be mysql and it's definitely not one of the directories.

Make sure you have done this step in the instructions. It won't work unless you have:
Change the permissions on config.php to be writeable by all (666 or -rw-rw-rw- within your FTP Client)

If you do, use localhost as the location of the database., and doublecheck the name of the database to make sure it matches the name you created.

I'll have to leave you with that for now because I won't be back at a computer for several hours. Don't worry though, others around here are quite familiar with phpBB and will help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts