My nifty signature! oooOOOooo

• b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hehehe, This is just a post for me to fill you guys in, and for me to brag.

I'm filling you guys in because my signature is now very unique, you can click on it, which will bring you to a page where you can actually change my signature :-D. Of course I didn't want my signature to be changing constantly, so every it takes 15 minutes between changes to allow another change. The page also has some various statistics about each signature, how long its been up previously, and how many times. I hope to add more then the current 10 signatures (which may mean implementing a page function...grumble....). So in a few minutes you guys should be able to change my signature. Enjoy.

Oh yea, I get to brag because, A) I've never seen a signature like this before, B) It is my first fully functional script over 150 lines, and C) I RTFMed and troubleshot it myself, I didn't ask for any help (well I did but I deleted the post before anyone answered because I figured it out :roll: )

Have fun with it :)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey that is kind of cool how you did that. Did you write the PHP script yourself?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea I wrote it all myself. I had a few problems on the mysql side, but got them all debugged (realized that DIE drops out of any if/while statements....which took me forever to figure out.) I had a real basic version up for like 20 minutes last nite that just randomized the image whenever anyone went to the page, but its in my family to make things hard and complicated :lol:

I am going to see if I can implement a minutes till you can change it script in there...heehee
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Done, I also did a few facelifes, made the fonts centered, a few line breaks, etc.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just implemented the "Minutes per appearance" column. No real use, just thought it'd look better, statistically that is ;)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is cool!

Cheers!
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz
  • Loc: Baltimore, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

nifty...wish i could figure this stuff out :) changed it for fun hope you don't mind but i liked the graffiti tag one :)
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should add a bit more to your program so that it can detect what post it comes from on ozzu, and that way the link that says:

"Back to Webmaster Forums"

would you take you directly back to the post they were reading, instead of to the main page of the forum. Just an idea, and challege for you :thumbsup:
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had that set to:

Code: [ Select ]
onClick="history.go(-1)"

But I was having some problems with caching on my computer, kept sending me back to /random/ instead of the forum...I'll figure out a way soooon enough tho:) Gotta work on the page script first.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

can u please post the entire first stage of the script if u still have it. becuase i really want a sig like urs
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nah, while I am all for opensource and such, this is unique and I haven't seen it anywhere else, so I am keeping it private for a while.

I'll probably eventually make it opensource.

I'll probably make all my pages opensource sometime or another.

Probably.
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK. I was just wondering
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

glad to know you like it
  • xxviii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • xxviii
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's pretty cool, I haven't ever seen anything like that either really. I think there is a php thinger that gets the referrer to a page, so if you wanted to do that back thing that someone mentioned, that would be a possible way to do it.
Of course I may sound stupid because I'm just learning PHP, so if I do, just pretend you didn't read anything past the first period.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, I don't know if you took BigWebMaster's suggestion any further, but one thing you could do, as far as referring URL is concerned...

Is simply use the $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] variable.

Parse that variable to see if "ozzu.com" exists in that variable...

function isozzu {
 $pos = strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'], 'ozzu.com');
 if ($pos === false) {
  return '<a href="'.$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'].'">Return back to wherever...</a>';
 } else {
  return '<a href="'.$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'].'">Return back to Ozzu.com Webmaster Forums...</a>';
 }
}
  1. function isozzu {
  2.  $pos = strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'], 'ozzu.com');
  3.  if ($pos === false) {
  4.   return '<a href="'.$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'].'">Return back to wherever...</a>';
  5.  } else {
  6.   return '<a href="'.$_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'].'">Return back to Ozzu.com Webmaster Forums...</a>';
  7.  }
  8. }

Then you can just...

echo isozzu();

Wherever you want to display it..

echo 'This is the page content<p>blah blah<br>blah blah<p>'.isozzu().'<p>Copyright William I ©1066<p>';

You can go much more elaborate than that function though. Like checking other forums you post on, or even for search engines.. A 'Click here to return to your Google search about "X Y Z"' type of thing.

So, like I said, I don't know if you took BWM's suggestion any further, but this could be something for you to play with.

It's a GREAT idea for a script, and it is something very unique, so congrats are in order! (and I don't blame you for not handing out the script, lol).
  • xxviii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • xxviii

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's what I was going for right there
I'm glad someone could put my dumb words into smart words.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

you know what? I didn't even notice your post, lol. Sorry, I didn't mean to make you sound dumb (that wasn't my intention if I did that), we all have to learn new stuff at some point :)

I just saw BWM's post, and was commenting on that, hehe.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey thanks for the scriptlet Axe, I think that my signature should open in a new window though (if it doesn't let me know, it might just be Mozilla). So that solved the need to go back, instead I just let them know they can close my window.
  • thevirus
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • thevirus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sell It! I would by it if I had any money because it is very unique. Congradulations, I am also learning php now as someone eles said in this forum and I would like to be able to write scripts like that one day. Though I have no clue how you did it because I dont know how you could make the image filename a variable? Congradulations, I am trying to think of ideas like that for my forum to bring people to it but I am not good enough at php to write a unique script. Any Ideas?
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd say a spellchecker mod would be in order for your forum. I know of member there that could use it.

As for selling it because it is unique: Once I sell it it no longer becomes unique, because someone else has it. That is the reason I have kept it closed-source for this long. I may release it open source in the future, I may not. Time will tell.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just write version 2, then release this one, hehe ;)

Personally, I think this should be one of those suggested projects for new PHP users to have a stab at writing in order to help gain a better understanding of the language..

Right up there with "Hello World", and your own blog/CMS system :)
  • xxviii
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • xxviii

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
you know what? I didn't even notice your post, lol. Sorry, I didn't mean to make you sound dumb (that wasn't my intention if I did that), we all have to learn new stuff at some point :)

I just saw BWM's post, and was commenting on that, hehe.

lol, I was being serious, I really was glad someone could actually put it intelligently. Sorry for the misunderstaning :P
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Axe wrote:
Just write version 2, then release this one, hehe ;)

Personally, I think this should be one of those suggested projects for new PHP users to have a stab at writing in order to help gain a better understanding of the language..

Right up there with "Hello World", and your own blog/CMS system :)

I actually have my own blog that I wrote, but what is a CMS system? I discovered if you know how to make a guestbook, you can make a variety of other scripts, like blogs or comments. I think this script would work good for a tutorial on mySQL and Filesystem integration.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

CMS == Content Management System..

It's basically a more professionally sounding term for a blog, hehe, and generally more multi-user based, like PostNuke or Xaraya
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh ok!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts