Oracle Buys Sun Microsystems ?

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I keep seeing stories saying that Oracle is going through with a Sun Microsystems purchase, but the official Oracle webiste link I found is going to a 404 page.

Anyone seen anything about this, and more importantly, does this mean that Oracle will soon own the MySQL code base ?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Janrocks
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: between

Post 3+ Months Ago

It looks like it.. been hearing rumours for a few months myself.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/Ora ... 427534.cms
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been seeing rumors of Sun being bought, but I thought it was IBM that was going to do the buying.

Oracle is a database company aren't they ?
Didn't Sun buy MySQL recently ?

I'm wondering if Oracle is just going to gut MySQL for what it's worth since as far as I know the lead MySQL developers jumped ship at Sun and started new forks anyway.

On a flip side, it would be interesting to see the leads come back on board now that an actual database company would be managing the MySQL codebase.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope they don't change the way MySQL runs and works... I'd hate to start learning again :lol:
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Relax Bogey, a lot of what you've learned carries over to other DB platforms anyway.
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

joebert wrote:
Relax Bogey, a lot of what you've learned carries over to other DB platforms anyway.

Alright... just wondering.
  • dark_lord
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India-Kolkata

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bogey wrote:
I hope they don't change the way MySQL runs and works... I'd hate to start learning again :lol:

if mysql turns out to work like oracle, then there would be two things

1. the later versions will not be accepted :D at least i wont

and

2. Oracle would become cheap or in other words mysql would be expensive.

But in newspaper i read that oracle is going to buy sun (the procedure almost started), the main reason being MySQL, because MySql does gives a great challenge to MSSQL and ORACLE.

The biggest market share in database usage, i think is with Mysql.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't see MySQL as a large intentional gain of Oracle's purchase at all. Java is the glue that binds many of the applications that they've recently purchased for around $40 billion collectively. They've got their eye on packaging Oracle and Solaris with this one. They're going to be entering a new hardware aspect/market that they haven't previously dealt with, so I would be surprised if they had the time to majorly jack with MySQL.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPSGuy wrote:
I don't see MySQL as a large intentional gain of Oracle's purchase at all. Java is the glue that binds many of the applications that they've recently purchased for around $40 billion collectively. They've got their eye on packaging Oracle and Solaris with this one. They're going to be entering a new hardware aspect/market that they haven't previously dealt with, so I would be surprised if they had the time to majorly jack with MySQL.

I agree completely. Oracle is thrilled to be able to sell a complete hardware/Java/DB package. Regardless of what happens to MySQL, they'd be stupid to kill it off all together. They know that it's wildly popular among new and beginner programmers and gives them a way to get more people's foot in the door with Oracle rather than MSSQL, Postgres, etc.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Looks like MS and IBM sure as heck weren't expecting this:
http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/business/ ... 383,00.htm

I gotta admit, it took me by surprise considering all the negotiations between IBM and Oracle. IBM's probably kicking themselves at the moment.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe Oracle had secretly put in the $7.4B bid before that rumored $7B bid by IBM. If that was the case I could see why an extra $0.4B would have Sun scoffing at a bid by IBM.

Maybe the initial rumor was wrong, and it was Oracle that was going to buy Sun all along.
  • dark_lord
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: India-Kolkata

Post 3+ Months Ago

maybe you guys are right as because oracle stated that they are buying off sun.

And also hope that you guys are right and there shouldn't be any change with mysql operations.
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Maybe the initial rumor was wrong

Not sure why the deal worked the way it did, but IBM did have a bid out, I confirmed it through a friend in the NY offices.

Oracle stood to lose a lot of ground if IBM had purchased, so perhaps there was a bit of a rabbit race. Had their building block (Java) fallen into IBM's hands, they would have been in deep water. I think they more or less had their hand forced into this one.

Side note of interest - a quote from Oracle's CEO: "Oracle will be the only company that can engineer an integrated system--applications to disk--where all the pieces fit and work together so customers do not have to do it themselves"

Let's hope he can deliver, for his own company's sake.
  • ajp76054
  • Born
  • Born
  • ajp76054

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah but is oracle really going to be a good thing for sun microsystems. Really?
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Urmm, the purchase happened the other way around. It's a great move on Oracle's part. Be it the best direction for Sun or not, they did what we all set out to do - they made an awesome product and raked in some cash.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sun needed to sell out to someone, they've been hanging on by a thread for years.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts