Perl based discussion forum

• rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
Does anyone know of a (free) perl-based discussion forum I can use? PHP is out of the question. I can't use IkonBoard because my host doesn't have DB Flat File (or something like that), and I can't use the one available at http://www.fuzzymonkey.org because it doesn't work for no obvious reason.

PLEASE help me guys, i dont' want to write my own. I'm just a bit lazy.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

YaBB is a Perl based board that has a similar look and feel to this one, but doesn't require a database. It uses a text file instead.

http://www.yabbforum.com/

My old forum (which is no longer in use) is still up and you can see a working example of it:

http://thehelpdesk.atnopro.com
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have seen yabb, but I didn't use it because it uses a text file. I am expecting this site to be used fairly heavily, so I want something that can handle a fair bit of traffic. I have heard text files don't respond well to traffic.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I sorta thought you might say that.

Well, here's the deal...you are correct. Text files aren't going to handle the traffic and neither will an Access database (It's limited to about 25 concurrent connections). To get what you want, you're going to have to spend the bucks and get a host with a service plan that includes a SQL database and use an appropriate PHP or ASP driven forum depending on what that host supports. In my opinion PHP is easier to understand and modify.

It's probably your best bet for handling volume traffic

And for what it's worth the YaBB performed better than a similar ASP version I tried once that did use an Access datebase. Of course I didn't get a lot of traffic, but at least the YaBB one held up whereas the ASP one didn't.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a host with perl and mysql, but i need a forum that is written in cgi and uses mysql. I have found two forums out there so far:
1. ikonboard, which is perfect but i can't use it because I require the DB Flat File Perl module and my host doesn't have that. I have emailed them asking them to install it but no reply yet
2. the one found at fuzzymonkey.org which doesn't work at all (just internal server error) but when i run it from the shell (through SSH) it works fine

I don't need the hosting - just the scripts.

Thanks,
Richard
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm out of ideas then. Hoping someone else can be of help. Good luck.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
I have a host with perl and mysql, but i need a forum that is written in cgi and uses mysql.

Just so you know scripts are NOT written in CGI, CGI is just a place that stores information like mySQL. So you basically wouldn't need a forum that uses CGI and mySQL.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

the terms perl and cgi are almost interchangable. Perl is a programming language, CGI is a way of getting data in and out of any programming language. Perl is the most common language used with CGI.[/b]
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

I beg to differ, you can't exchange a programming language and a system of data storage, they are two completely different things. So if you WERE looking for a CGI mySQL program you'd be looking for a program that contains no code at all, because neither are a script/programming language.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK LET ME REPHRASE THAT THEN - I AM LOOKING FOR A PERL AND MYSQL SOLUTION
--edit--
sorry, I didn't mean to type in all caps, I just got out of bed and didn't notice caps lock was on.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts