Perl Formmail on MSFT server

• guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz
  • Loc: Baltimore, MD

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm messing with formmail.pl http://www.formmail.com and trying to get it to work with a microsoft server. I've used the script before and I'm familiar with it, but I have almost 0 experience with MSFT servers. The script is made for unix/linux, and requires a sendmail and perl path to work. I'm assuming the server has perl and something similar to sendmail, but i have no idea what the path might be and the guy i'm setting this up for is no help at all (he told me to convert it to ASP...impossible at least for me) so, I'm wondering if it will work on the server, and if so, what path I could try for perl and sendmail (or whatever MSFT uses). Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good question, I really do not know much about Windows PERL, but I know enough that it should work unless the script uses a few functions that Windows does not support (like flock I think).

Anyway what I would do is try to find the location of PERL on that Windows server and once you can find it simply change the top part of the script to match the path of that location. So for example on Linux systems the path to perl is usually described on the first line by

#!/usr/bin/perl

Try changing that to:

#!C:\path\to\Perl

I am not really sure though, just guessing in the dark here.
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

I guess you don't have any idea about the sendmail thing do you? I am almost positive there's no sendmail for windows...but i could be wrong...just a hunch...but, what would it use otherwise? and btw thanks for the answer for the perl...wish this guy knew what i was talking about when i asked for the path...i assumed he could just spit it out, but he asked me to convert the perl to ASP instead...what the @#&!? if I knew ASP i'd probably be able to write my own formdata processor duh :) hee hee...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah as far as sendmail on windows I think its something completely different. Maybe someone else has some insight there, but I sure do not.

I am not much for ASP either, I do know many people who use ASP are switching to PHP though, because PHP is very similiar to ASP and works great for both windows and Linux.
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

bigweb, i think you're right on my page...i wish everyone went with that philosophy...i hate ASP...i've passed a few jobs where i needed to learn it, and just have no interest...i thought unflux might have a viewpoint on this one...despite his design tendencies, he always seems to have a solid MSFT input, but i guess he doesnt. :(
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i actually hadn't even seen this thread until now, sorry.

Well, for a windows host it would for IIS, but beyond that I have no idea.
Simply because, as much of a Windows person I am, I can't stand IIS and
I have 0 experience with it. Sorry. :(
  • guitrspaz
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • guitrspaz

Post 3+ Months Ago

thats ok :) the guy who i was doing it for stopped emailing me and put his own ASP processor together (i know i have perl and php form processors on hand if need em...whats up with him asking me for help?...i could also write one in an hour or so if i had to) so he's taken care of i suppose...thanks all

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts