Perl Guestbook script

• Tone2k11
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Tone2k11
  • Loc: Southampton - UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, i am trying to install the perl guestbook script which is availible from big webmasters web resources.

My site is hosted with yrhost. And i have uploaded all the files in the guestbook folder into "public_html" under a folder called "gb" as advised in the installation notes.

I have done everything that it has said. But when accessing the guestbook page i get an error message saying -

Quote:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, root@host1.dnsbox10.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.29 Server at host1.dnsbox10.com Port 80

I then look in the control panel of my site to get some more information on the error and it says

Quote:
[Mon Apr 5 15:06:40 2004] [error] [client 172.186.54.170] Premature end of script headers: /home/dooumrbh/public_html/gb/admin/admin.cgi
[Mon Apr 5 15:05:44 2004] [error] [client 172.186.54.170] File does not exist: /home/dooumrbh/public_html/public_html/gb/admin/admi.cgi

Is any one with yrhost.com and is willing to give me instuctions on how i can install (where i should put it etc)

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheers

Tone
  • Managedlinks
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Managedlinks

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi

It sounds like the script has some problems.

The script is running but not completing its task.
You are getting the error 404 because an errordocument was setup to handle server 500 errors but the document does not exist

it looks like a spelling error admi.cgi instead of admin.cgi

I would check the file called .htaccess in the gb/admin/ folder
if not there keep looking in each higher folder till you find it
(this assumes apache web server)

You also need to track down why the script is failing, how to debug a script is beyond what can be done here.

does big webmasters have a forum ?
you may want to try there
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

It can also be due to uploading in the wrong format...

Make sure you upload in ASCII format, not binary format so that they are uploaded with appropriate line endings.
  • Managedlinks
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Managedlinks

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very True Axe - And one of the most common mistakes. silly me for not mentioning it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts