php chat - taboo?

• jannin
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Cranbrook, BC Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wondering what the general feeling is about a php chat. My problem is that I'm sure I could figure that out, whereas Java is starting to kill me (even though I've hardly started) I understand most of it, it's just driving me insane because I'm impatient.
So, here's my question:
I am going to create a chat room eventually, preferably soon, which I'm sure I could do with php, OR I could spend a little longer following a bunch of Java tutorials. Or I could do something else, but I don't know what that is yet...

So anyway... opinions?

/jannin
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

PHP is a server side language, if you want a smooth looking chat you need to combine it with a client side one -- it's possible with just HTML and PHP, but it usually means doing those annoying refreshes at short-intervals, and these can be pretty annoying to users (especially with IE; making that freaking click sound every refresh)
  • jannin
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Cranbrook, BC Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heh, yeah, I'd noticed the clicking. Guess I'll do it in Java. I'm just impatient. As are site users. And I refuse to get some free chat, because I want to make one so I can connect it to my db... Demanding, aren't I?

Thanks for the input, guess I'll have to pay a little more attention to my java tutorials...

/jannin
  • webmasterbrain
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • webmasterbrain

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could use this: http://nfcchat.sourceforge.net/ (I haven't used it personally, so I don't know how good it is)

You probably want to create your own, but maybe you could use something like this in the meantime

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts