php vs scrolling

• buzzby365
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • buzzby365

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know that php replaces the need for scrolling but i fee that my site will need to have a scroll because at the bottom of the site there is a table for the use to subscibe to a newsletter. how do i get round this? does pagination come into it?

i say this because i may have to do a glossary with many terms and not just the whole alphabet. there will also be articles on certain subjects that have quite some content
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

buzzby365 wrote:
php replaces the need for scrolling

how does that work then?? Is this a different kind of scrolling to the one I am thinking of.... :?
  • buzzby365
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • buzzby365

Post 3+ Months Ago

conventional scrolling. with iframes you can scroll within a table. how does php handle this?
  • buzzby365
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • buzzby365

Post 3+ Months Ago

a problem i have with the sql coding is when i use the TEXT instead of varchar(255) i find that i am not able to write a lot of text. i find that in mid sentence the sql doesnt allow me to input any more text. y is that? i thought you could have 64kb of info if u use TEXT while varvhar and char is limited to (255)
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

PHP doesn't - you need to put the text into a div and set the div to overflow:auto; using css.

PHP is totally different to Iframes, you could infact use PHP <i>with</i> Iframes.

don't know about your datatype question though.
  • buzzby365
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • buzzby365

Post 3+ Months Ago

when i type in a piece of text into mysql (long piece of text) it stops me entering text after reaching 1/2 way on the 3rd line. why is that? i dont think it has reached the 255th character and it certainly is not 64kb. not sure why this happens. i really need this to be fixed because alot of the text i have is more than 3 lines.
  • buzzby365
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • buzzby365

Post 3+ Months Ago

just a general question. (prev post still need closure on)

when building a mysql/php site, how would you go about doing it? is it best to get all the table info sorted then use php for the organisation or get some table info sorted with the relative php codes? what would you do if you had the choice?
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

How, exactly, are you "type[ing] in a piece of text into mysql (long piece of text) it stops me entering text after reaching 1/2 way on the 3rd line." in the first place? Are you using some sort of GUI? 3rd line of what?

TEXT datatypes are limitied to 64K some-odd single-byte characters, so you're right. Why this is happening, I don't know. It could be the PHP calls, it could be the database is truncating the text stream, either inbound or out (there's a buffer setting of some sort.. I can't recall the exact details now... I've never run into it with PHP, but I have with Perl DBI).

I don't understand your question about table info being sorted out... Do you mean should you get the database structure build before starting any PHP code? yes, absolutely. You'll need to know the database structure before you can interface with it via PHP scripts. There will probably be some tweaking as you write the PHP code, but in general, you should have your DB scheme as close to final as possible before starting any code development. Does that answer your question ok, or am I missing your point?

.c
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

buzzby365 wrote:
a problem i have with the sql coding is when i use the TEXT instead of varchar(255) i find that i am not able to write a lot of text. i find that in mid sentence the sql doesnt allow me to input any more text. y is that? i thought you could have 64kb of info if u use TEXT while varvhar and char is limited to (255)

Are you using any special characters inside your text ie " or '?
What are you using to enter the text into your db? command prompt, phpmyadmin or control center. I cannnot say that I have ever had this problem.

If you are doing it through a web interface check the maxlength attribute for the input you are entering the text into
  • buzzby365
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • buzzby365

Post 3+ Months Ago

in general. i use dos todomy mysql stuff. (call it primitive but i am used to it. its how i started learning) in the dos prompt (prompt = mysql>) i amnotr able to get past the 4th line. if i press a letter and keep it pressed, it then goes to the 4th line and then stops. how then can i enter long sentenses?
  • buzzby365
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • buzzby365

Post 3+ Months Ago

what sql package can i use that will let me type 64k of text? the dos version isnt helpin. i have proper paragraphs to enter (4 - 5 lines of text)
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use a program called SQLYog personally. I find it's really very useful, though it costs some money if you want a legally obtained liscense key.

There are some ok tools on the mySQL website too. I would suggest doing a search for some free mySQL GUI tools, or build yourself a simple data entry form with PHP (this might be even easier for you actually)

I don't know if the DOS command line has a hard limit for commands. It's possible that the buffer can only accept so long a string. I've never had that as an issue before though, so I don't really know.

.c

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts