phpbb randomly throws up 'Internal Server Error'

• Maels
  • Loc: INTERNET

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since starting my phpbb board a month and a half ago my users and I randomly come up with a 500 - Internal Server Error executing any php script on the site. ( http://forums.burfstar.com if you care; it's a private forum though...)

I have triple-checked my permissions to each folder and file, and all of them are correct.

All scripts cause the error, but refreshing the page always fixes the problem (If a user posted a reply to a topic, it calls posting.php and sometimes it displays a 500 error, refreshing shows the correct posting.php and the reply is posted).

I have checked and posted in the phpbb support forums for a solution, but have found none.

Here is a copy of the error message in the log file:
[Wed Mar 03 02:52:35 2004] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Premature end of script headers: php-script
[Wed Mar 03 02:52:35 2004] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] php-script: line 4: 3335 Segmentation fault /usr/bin/php

The things I can think of that would cause this, and I would appreciate you saying something if you think otherwise, are either incorrect server configuration, server does not like when @REQUEST_URI is used (or something similar) or I'm somehow overusing the CPU or RAM allotted for my account on the server by running my board of <50 members (I use canaca.com for hosting).

The error is random, and does not come up all the time. Refreshing always brings up the correct page.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Maels

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm going to be back later this evening, so excuse my lack of answers for a few hours if someone replies before then :) .
  • CazpianXI
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmmm... I get that sometimes. Ususally it happens to me when my PHP script does not output anything. I fixed this by making sure that there is some raw HTML on the page (HTML that is NOT enclosed inside of the <? and ?> tags)

If you are using a 3rd party to host your site, you might want to ask them (if this dosen't help).

Hope this helps.
  • Maels

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can someone give me an example of what I should put and in what files, please? I'm thinking functions.php or sessions.php since those are called at every page. When I try to do what you asked, I get a header already called error.

I have contacted my host and they told me to check my permissions :? .

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts