Post nuke permmisions help needed

• Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

okay I am having some trouble with this. I tried posting and researching this on th pnforums, but I haven't got an answer. The problem is that I want my users to be able to add articles to to the Sections module.

Code: [ Select ]
1        Admins    .*    .*    Admin    
2        All Groups    Menublock::    Main Menu:Administration:    None    
3        Users    Sections::    .*    Add    
4        Users    .*    .*    Comment    
5        Unregistered    Menublock::    Main Menu:(My Account|Logout|Submit News):    None    
6        Unregistered    .*    .*    Read
  1. 1        Admins    .*    .*    Admin    
  2. 2        All Groups    Menublock::    Main Menu:Administration:    None    
  3. 3        Users    Sections::    .*    Add    
  4. 4        Users    .*    .*    Comment    
  5. 5        Unregistered    Menublock::    Main Menu:(My Account|Logout|Submit News):    None    
  6. 6        Unregistered    .*    .*    Read

This configuration allows the user to add new sections, edit sections, and delete sections; which I don't want them to do. I only want them to submit articles there. The configuration allows them to do everything but that.

The permissions I need help on are in the 3 slot

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am not sure where I should post this here or not, so move if necessary.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

As far as I'm aware, you can only give none, read-only or admin access to Sections (or a specific indivual section).

You won't be able to give permissions to just add an article without giving permission to edit and erase existing articles.

The Sections module was written quite a while ago, and isn't as developed yet as many would hope.

Your best bet would be to create a custom module for users to submit articles. Have it work similarly to submitting news articles. Simply have the module store their submissions in a database table, have it notify you when an article is submitted (in the lil content waiting block), and an admin end to shift it from your submissions table to the real sections table.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, that is probably what I am going to have to do. I managed to hack the code a little so that when I do give users admin status the only thing that will pull up is the submit article form.

Of course the problem there is that I also will not be able edit any articles or start new topics; and also after the post is made it turns up a plain white screen. Even though it is still being submitted, that is pretty poor practice. Plus I am sure that there is also a security concern doing this.

I am going to have to search around for a decent news module, and if not I will code it myself.....even if it takes me weeks to do so.

Thanks for the info Axe...you probably saved me days of frustration.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wish I could've given you happier news, but at least now you don't have to die trying :)

Good luck in your hunt, and keep me posted with what you come up with.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really couldn't find anything so far.

Let me explain a little bit of what I am trying to do with it. I want to make a section that will let users post tutorials. It doesn't neccesarily have to go into sections, any mod will do.

But I may have to go with what you suggested about creating a custom module. It is going to be really tough for me to do, because I am not familiar with anything involving sql. I can create tables, but as far as that, I am clueless. I am sure that I could get reasonably far with coding it, but I am definately going to need some help later. But I suppose that is why this forum is here.

This is going to take me some time.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good luck, and feel free to post a million and one questions :mrgreen:
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I stumbled upon a hack for this, If anyone else has any interest in doing something with the 'sections' mod.

http://mods.postnuke.com/modules.php?op ... e&sid=2291

I am trying to go another way with this. Most people don't want to bother writing a whole bunch of html to submit a tutorial. Especially if it is already posted somewhere else.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahhh now that's handy :)

I just started modifying the sections module on one of my sites here (still lots to do though)..

http://www.photosector.com/Sections+main.html

Now I can sift through that one you posted, and grab the submit/authorization code (useful that it has to be approved by an admin before publishing too).

Gotta love that GPL code :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts