Problems loading a page

• Sappe
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sappe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I have a new website that I'm going to put different Java applets and stuff on. Right now I only have two applets, an animation and a game.
The problem lies with the gameapplet. I doesn't seem as I can load the page where it's located. The computer freezes when I try. I can load it correctly when on my comp but not when uploaded on my site. Anyone have an idea as to what might be the problem?
The site is http://www.sappe.info.se.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What's the URL for the page where you have the game?
  • Sappe
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sappe

Post 3+ Months Ago

It should be but that doesn't work either :roll: .
http://www.sappe.info.se/sappeGP1
but that doesn't work either :roll: .

It's easy to navigate though as the site is small. Just go http://www.sappe.info.se->games->falling blocks.

But I have noticed that when I load the index file and then go to
games->falling blocks (that's the game) it freezes. But if I open the games.html file directly I can with no problems open the falling blocks file.
Same thing if I load the falling blocks directly.

Hope that was clear enough..
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

My thought is that the problem is in the way the files were uploaded. Looking at your java classes, it appears that they may have been uploaded as binary files. I believe they should be uploaded as ASCII files. I could be mistaken, but I believe that's it.
I should be able to see text in the applets, but all I see is Êþº¾ in both of them.

If that's not the problem, you might need to check with your host and make sure they support java applets.
  • Sappe
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sappe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi
I looked at the applet and I got the same text as you. But I also looked at the other applet (main page) and it was the same there (this applet works). Also the problem do occur on my machine if I go via the index.html-file and I have support for Java. Any other thoughts? Thx btw.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm able to load the applet using mozilla 1.5 and Java Plug-in: Version 1.4.1_05, but it doesn't run properly and the java console is showing me the following exception:

Code: [ Select ]
java.security.AccessControlException: access denied (java.lang.RuntimePermission modifyThread)    at java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(Unknown Source)    at java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown Source)    at sun.applet.AppletSecurity.checkAccess(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.Thread.checkAccess(Unknown Source)    at java.lang.Thread.setPriority(Unknown Source)    at SappeAn2.run(SappeAn2.java:96)    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I'm not sure what the problem is, but perhaps that will help you debug it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sorry it took so long to reply. I downloaded and installed J2SDK and compiled and tested a couple applets and then tested yours. You'll have to tell me if you changed anything because now it is working even on your webpage as well as on my local machine.

It has been a couple years since I did anything with java and had to refresh my memory on some things. I may have been wrong earlier about the binary thing. It probably should have been uploaded as binary. However, it's a moot point -- your class file is fine.

Now, if you still don't see it on your site -- the only thing that changed for me between earlier when I couldn't see it and now that I can is I installed the J2RE and associated it with MSIE. I'm guessing Microsofts Virtual Machine can't handle the applet. All I can say is the file is fine, it works as you intended. If you can't see it, install the J2RE from Sun and associate it with IE and/or any other browsers you may be using.
  • Sappe
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sappe

Post 3+ Months Ago

RickB: Perhaps that's Mozilla's fault. It might be that your securitysettings are too high (the ones handling hostile applets), I'm not sure as ATNO/TW gets it to work.

This is a weird problem. When I try it on my comp I also use the webbrowser(and the same html-file) but here it works. But if I try to load the index.html-file in my comp and use the links to get to the game the same problem occurs. I have all the java-stuff but for some reason I couldn't update the Java-plugin (shouln't mather though as I wrote the applet).

:?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I didn't try it in Mozilla...and actually didn't add it to the Firebird "brand" of Mozilla I'm currently using, But it did work just fine with no errors in IE after I installed the Java2 Runtime Environment (J2RE) in MSIE. I only tested it in IE and used the appviewer offline to check it out. It now works in both instances.

Primarily, this is one of the reasons I quit studying java a couple years ago. I just got annoyed with what it took to compile it and then if somebody didn't have the runtime environment installed it wouldn't display right. I'm not saying it's a bad way to go...I just didn't like it. Be assured though your applet is fine -- I can view it on your site and offline. I think you just might need to latch on to the current J2RE and switch MSIE from the virtual machine to the J2RE to see it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

P.S. I took the liberty of uploading the applet to a test directory I have for OZZU. It's working fine on IE there too.

http://atnopro.com/ozzu/test/sappetest.html

(actually it's working much faster than yours -- I attribute that to your host)
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Works fine in Mozilla.
  • Sappe
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sappe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ye I'm not to found of Java either. I'm going to learn C++ soon.

Anyway the applet works for me in the test directory and offline. The problem seems to be moving from the games.html-file to the html-file where the applet is. That works for you right?

Thanks for the help :)
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is working fine online at your link and mine on IE now that I have J2RE -- problem is going to be instructing your viewers how to install all that stuff.

Good luck. You did a great job with the applet. Sorry it's been so much of a headache for you.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

BTW -- I couldn't get past 29 on my score. (*smiles -- I did play it -- just wasn't very good at it)
  • Sappe
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Sappe

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hopefully most people to visit already knows how to. Or maybe I'll put the info in the tutorials section :)
Thanks for the help and I'm glad you like the applet.

Now back to the pile of homework due tomorrow :roll:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 15 posts