Programmer/Designer recruiting advice

• McFry
  • McFry
  • Loc: California/Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm looking to undertake a new project merging OpenSource creation and standard business practices. To date, no one has ever attempted anything like it, but before I start I need a working client/server system, and designers/programmers who are willing to work in a team to help create the project infrastructure.

Given the nature of the project, how would you guys suggest i go about finding the highest-caliber (and trustworthy-- the project would most likely requre a non-disclosure) people possible, who are also willing to work solely on the basis that they'd get a significant portion of profits-- but only when they come?

Basically what outlets (i mean i could ask on IRC, news groups, or something similar but you never know who you're going to find) are there that you guys know of that I should look into?

Thanks
ed
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• McFry
  • McFry

Post 3+ Months Ago

Clarification:

I'm not talking about a full time job paying nothing; the client and server models i have in mind are really rather simple in their design. The project more or less would envolve as much work as writting a forum script, and it would be a good chance at some exposure for programmers who are looking to put their names in the public eye.

I've seen this type of request done before in past projects, but more evident is the existance of so many open source projects-- all done for no money but instead self gratification and exposure, but after further consideration i think i would be willing to offset some of the risk involved by being able to offer some amount of money....

But the question still remains... where are the best programmers?
  • McFry
  • McFry

Post 3+ Months Ago

buuuuump
  • Sabu
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Sabu

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you look waaay down at the bottom of the page, there's a link to

http://www.getafreelancer.com/

You probbaly won't have much luck asking for people to work on a project without telling them what it is first, or having any definite profitable outcome.
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think It's hard to find reliable programmers from freelancers. But ozzu seems like a good place to try sourcing reliable programmers isnt it?
maybe BWM is interested in helping out. try PM him.
lol
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think what you need to do is find yourself a project manage4r who is technically orientated and ask him to have a look at code that is submitted to tell you if it is any good or not. If you don't have a nerve center controlling the codign there are going to be endless integration issues.

Check around here, but remember that the guys who do it for self fulfillment do take a while on these projects as they can only work on it in there free time
  • dr_geek
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: london town

Post 3+ Months Ago

McFry wrote:
I'm looking to undertake a new project merging OpenSource creation and standard business practices. To date, no one has ever attempted anything like it

I've consulted for banks and telecoms who do this. Maybe there's more to your idea than what you say here. If so, and if you want to generate some real interest: I'd be less vague + more forthcoming with exactly you have in mind.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts