Programming help is required

• Sketcher
  • Born
  • Born
  • Sketcher

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello Everyone,

I am just a beginner programmer with little experience in C. Currently my aim is to try and develop an own application. Since I am not so experienced I thought to look for something on the Internet. On a site I have discovered several sample programs. Those ready made sample programs were developed by a software called Ozeki VoIP SIP SDK and also in C#. I am completely new to that programming language so that is why I seek guidance. Could you please tell me how can I try out the software or any of the provided samples? If you know any good books or tutorials would you please share it? I suppose maybe I could try out Visual Studio as well. If you have any other ideas plase tell me. Thanks for your time and help.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would start with some friendly languages but really when it comes down to it, depends where you want to take it. IOS development which is what is popular right now which is written in Oracle C. Most Main stream applications are Written in C form mostly. VB i would stay away from it builds bad habits but it does make some easy study of programming.

But best advice is go to the bookshop and get some books if your learning on your own. Nothing better then textbooks for learning.

Who knows if you get good at it then you can do some courses and get skilled later down the track.
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lots of misinformation here.

Zealous wrote:
IOS development which is what is popular right now which is written in Oracle C.

iOS development is primarily done in Objective-C (I don't know what Oracle-C is supposed to be), but other languages are supported for non-UI purposes (app logic, etc) such as C and C++, and there are even projects out there for using .NET via MonoTouch.

Zealous wrote:
Most Main stream applications are Written in C form mostly.

What is a "main stream application"? Save for a handful of legacy programs, most commercial applications are not written in C anymore; there are far better languages for writing end-user applications. Honestly, nowadays, writing an app (be it desktop, mobile, whatever) in anything other than a managed language isn't sensible unless you have direct need for lower-level hardware access and there are no libraries that allow for it. Even then, separating that logic out and wrapping it in a managed language usually makes more sense.

Zealous wrote:
But best advice is go to the bookshop and get some books if your learning on your own. Nothing better then textbooks for learning.

Perhaps for some, but for many people it can be faster and [much] cheaper to simply download a set of tools and begin playing around with a language, using online documentation and help as a guide. Books on programming these days are often outdated by the time they hit the shelves, so be sure to keep this in mind when dishing out something like $50+ for them.

My advice to you (Sketcher) is to download a free development environment and start with a sample application in whatever language you choose. Hack at it, change things, experiment, until you begin to get the hang of things. Then start writing small applications.

Also, Project Euler is a great set of programming tasks to go through when you want to learn the mechanics of a language. I highly recommend it.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL i just read my post and sigh'd :)

just checking the time of post must of been gone by that time of morning.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts