Project Idea's for a Beginner Programmer

• Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi, I just recently got into programming. Started off with C, and I've learned the basic syntax and functions, but I'm more of the learn whiile doing type, and I can't seem to find things to program. If anyone has any idea's or suggestions please tell me. Thanks in advance.

Xel.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Sabu
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Sabu

Post 3+ Months Ago

When making something a plural there is no need to use the apostrophe. "Ideas" is a plural, whereas "idea's" means "idea is" or "belonging to idea"

I've heard of this fantastically magnificent program concept known to the insiders as "hello world". Have a look for that one, I've heard good things about it.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I am struggling to find ideas for applications I look at things I do every day and how I could possibly write something to make life easier for myself (and hopefully others)

One of the first things I ever wrote (in BASIC) was a maths application.

My baby brother was struggling with his times tables so I wrote an app to help him learn the things. It ran on the command line and started by assking which times table you wanted to learn then from oine to twelve would generate a sum ie 1 x 2, 2 x 2. The application would not allow you to go on to the next sum until you go the one you where busy with correct. Worked like a charm - within a week or two of doing it for a short period everyday he was cooking with gas!

Another piece of advice is start small - don't get over ambitious. It will just frustrate you and you won't want to carry on (unless you are like me and can't stand it when something gets the better of you).

Look at doing things like I mentioned above and as you become more fluent you can start adding things to it like the ability to track progress, compare users progress etc.

The only limit is your imagination - if you see a little app that you like on the net - don't just download it and use it, try to build something like it with your modifications (of course you can't claim it was your idea but at least you will be using your skills and eventually come up with something)

Just remember - baby steps, don't go trying to code with the Windows API until you are familiar with the bases and have generated a few apps.

The best thing about programming is that there is no right or wrong way to do things ( there is a best and worst way ) . Let your creativity flow. Find multiple ways to do the same thing - re-invent the wheel

Okay so I got carried away, sorry. Other than that Good Luck and just remember to have fun!

:iconthumbright:
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

Agreed 100% with rabid dog. Little apps, helpful tools. The times-tables one (my first too) is a good one to start with because it is nice and simple, handles user interaction and is extensible.

You could start the way that Rabid dog suggested, then do one that lets you get them wrong, but gives you a total. Then one that tells you the ones you got wrong. Then one that keeps a high score table. Sometimes you will just add bits on, sometimes go "I could do that bit in a better way".

Maybe you could then go on to do an equtions one - same idea but the code is more complicated. Then more maths things.

All of the programs are pretty useless unless you have a kid or two going spare, but they will help you learn techniques and give you practice.

Maths things are always a good idea to play with because there are laods of things you could do. Some easy, some extremely difficult. You can work your way up in stages. Try to stretch yourself - just don't try to run before you can walk :D
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey thanks for all the tips. Do you think that C might be too hard a language to start off with? I've used BASIC and VB but I didn't like them too much, Java and C++ is too hard as they are OOP, and I couldn't really think of other programming languages that are quite popular and easy. I'm focussing mainliy on compiled languages also.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

IMO there is no such thing as a language that is too hard to start off with. I would recommend perl but C is fine.

It might take you a little longer to pick up than other languages but once you have it it'll be with you for a long time.
  • Rabid Dog
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: South Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well if you go with C I have found that the syntax it relativly the same across the languages(based on C) with aq few differences - Besides VB!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts