Question about phpBB version upgrade.

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a sports board I co-host with a friend. It's currently phpBB v2.0.4

I want to upgrade it to 2.0.8a for a variety of reasons. I tried this a few weeks ago with a completely different board and once the board was installed and I tried to restore the database from the 2.0.4 version there were SQL errors (I think because the table structure is somewhat different, but not certain of the exact reason).

Does anyone know if it's possible to run a clean install of 2.0.8a and still import the data from the original 2.0.4 database?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Resurfacing this. Allow me to go through the details. I was about to ask this question at phpBB support forms, and may still, but I think Bigwebmaster may have done something similar when switching servers.

OK here's the details. The current board is 2.0.4 and I want to upgrade to 2.0.8a and change themes and add mods. The current board resides in a subdirectory "pool" off the root. I was considering mirroring the board in a different subdirectory at the existing domain named "br" when I realized if I did the upgrade using the existing database that it would screw up the existing "real" board because it would change the tables in the database. Lucky me for thinking first.

I have remote space where I can test things like this thanks to one of our mods, but at the moment, everytime I attempt to import the database, my CPU get's maxed and my current 128 MB RAM can't handle the 10MB of database transfer for some reason.

In essense, what I want to do is take the existing forum, replicate it "offline so-to-speak" so that the board appearance can be modified without disruption to the current board. Then replace the current board with the new one.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

P.S. where this is currently hosted I only have one database available. That is unchangeable at the moment.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would do exactly what you just said, except I would copy the actual
database itself and make it a test environment. Since it wouldn't be the
real forum, but a copy of it, you could do what you needed to see how it
goes. Then when you're satisfied, upload your changes to the real forum.

I just did this with a forum I was working on, and it went perfect. I
simply uploaded all the .tpl files, .css, and any images I needed.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks. I'll do that. It's just that I seem to be having difficulty running the SQL query to recreate the database tables at the test site. I don't know if it's because of the size or what. Seems to do OK if I just do one table at a time, so I guess I'll do it that way. It's good practice anyway *lol
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

More questions on this. Not so much questions, but a how-to sorta thing.

OK Step by step

I did an admin database backup of the db on existing forum. No prb...saved the .sql file and it exists...can pull it up in HTML Kit, Notepad, whatever and read just fine.

Now I go to the test site and enter phpMyAdmin. Try to do a SQL upload of the original .sql file via phpMyAdmin Sql query and it just times out on me....well it doesn't time out...just takes for friggin ever and I give up.

Given the export sql dump on the db includes an If Exist Drop statement for every table before it recreates it. Well, I'm dealing with an empty database (well not now, but was) but nothing seems to work short of doing an individual Create Table and Insert via copy and pasting the code into the query.

The problem is, I only have 128 MB RAM on this machine and everytime I try to c&p the posts table it thrashes my swap file on my disk drive and maxes the CPU at 100% and everything locks up on me.

Any thoughts on how I can upload this db successfully?

Thanks in advance.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have shell access? :)

If so, upload it via FTP, and then....

mysql -uusername -ppassword -Ddatabasename < whatever.sql
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just wanted to say a public thank you to Axe for helping me through a few linux questions and specific help to this problem for the last couple hours. His post prior to this one was exactly the answer, but I still don't know exactly how it happened to set up my database without me knowing about it, but it did...well...that's untrue sorta...I do have a pretty good feel for how it all worked with Axe's help. I'm just a total novice when it comes to linux/unix. Well that's not true either...but it's certainly not my forte.

There are some portions of this that couldn't be made public...but it is resolved. (At least until I try the upgrade...then we'll see *lol

Thanks much Axe...always appreciated.
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey any time buddy :)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts