Roll overs not working on new DNS

• sredhead
  • Born
  • Born
  • sredhead
  • Loc: Japan

Post 3+ Months Ago

Recently I upgraded to a new server, but with the same company. After uploading my files to the new DNS I found that the roll-overs that were previously working no longer worked.
I tried in OPera, Explorer, Omniweb, Camino, Netscape, Mozilla, Mozilla Firebird, Safari, Icab, all latest versions, with the same results.
Any words of wisdom that could point to what happened?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure what you mean by rollovers? Is this a DNS question or a programming question?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Is it the roll-over effect that isn't working or is it the links themselves that don't work. Assuming it's the latter, check your paths - my first guess is that they are relative paths on the links and when you uploaded your files on the new server your directory structure changed. In which case you may just need to adjust the paths on the links.
  • sredhead
  • Born
  • Born
  • sredhead

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is the roll-overs that are not working, the links are fine.

Bigwebmaster: Roll-overs are when the image changes on-over and on-down. DNS is the server address; I changed server addresses to move to a faster server. It is a programing question, the mention of DNS is background information.

I have since stripped the roll-overs out of the index.html today - since they are not working; but they are still in the page:

http://stevenredhead.com/Links/links.html

Any help to clearly address this issue would be welcome.
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't find the code for the changeImages function that you're using for the rollovers in the page or in a linked file and I'm wondering if you are missing a linked .js file. Perhaps you missed a file when you were uploading or it went into the wrong directory? I can't seem to find CSScriptlib.js that is linked to by the page.
  • sredhead
  • Born
  • Born
  • sredhead

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Rich B.

You were right the CSScriptlib.js was the problem. It was generated by Golive and put into a generates items folder. Weird as it may seem I had never loaded this file folder to the old DNS. I searched my HD for CSScriptlib.js and it was in the Golive folder. After uploading it seems to work on my Mac - not sure about about Windows though! Grateful for your direction.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Works in Windows. MSIE 6
  • sredhead
  • Born
  • Born
  • sredhead

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO / TW thank you for the information, I only have a Mac, so your help is much appreciated. Great to know it is finally working.
  • henryk
  • Born
  • Born
  • henryk

Post 3+ Months Ago

sredhead wrote:
It is the roll-overs that are not working, the links are fine.

Bigwebmaster: Roll-overs are when the image changes on-over and on-down. DNS is the server address; I changed server addresses to move to a faster server. It is a programing question, the mention of DNS is background information.

I have since stripped the roll-overs out of the index.html today - since they are not working; but they are still in the page:

http://stevenredhead.com/Links/links.html

Any help to clearly address this issue would be welcome.

You html file has a link the .js file as such:
<script type="text/javascript" src="file:///Macintosh%20HD/Users/redheads/Library/Preferences/Adobe/GoLive/Settings/JScripts/GlobalScripts/CSScriptLib.js"></script>

that points to your Desktop pc, not the Webserver.
Sooo if you write the website, and view it from the same PC, it will work, for no one else it will.

change it to:
<script type="text/javascript" src="/CSScriptLib.js"></script>

And it will work. (that .js file is in the webroot of your sever, I checked).

The reason I know that I just moved a site , which was done in GO Live, and it had the same problem. I had no copy of the .js file (long gone pc) so lucky for me, I found the file on your site.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts