Ruby on Rails

• typhon
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Memphis, Tn

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been thinking about getting into ruby on rails. I dont really know anything about it and was wondering what any of yalls opinions are about it.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's prolly some clingers around who will boast the fabulousness of Ruby on Rails, so I'll be a negative chimer...

I avoided RoR for one main reason. It was one of the main reasons it was supposed to be spectacular, for that matter - Convention over Configuration. I've slowly come to terms with the reality that large companies restrict activities in the database, esp. when it comes to developers who tend to know just enough to be dangerous with their ninja code. RoR, in all the ways it is positive, looses major points when you try to work in an environment where production level data access, by policy, is restricted to stored procs. Since RoR tries to represent the data model itself via ActiveRecord, a good bit of the potential the framework offers just slips away.

Security in the Mortgage field just can't be compromised, so outside of launching a few "hello world" sites, I've chosen to avoid RoR.

EDIT: One more thing I remembered...I haven't checked as of late, but when I messed with it, the documentation was a disaster! There's a few helpful blogs here and there, but I hate relying on that type of source, as there's just no central support. As for the wiki they provided, you could get some decent best practices, some not so good ones, and maybe a startup site, but beyond the basics, I never could find what I needed.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 2 posts