Scroll bar, 2 things (save my beer, please)

• DuffMan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Portland, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off: I bet its easy since everyone does it, how can I edit my scroll bar to match the theme of my page? I don't like the default at all!

Second: With frames, how do I keep a frame from deciding on its own to put its own scroll bars in? If I'm off by just one pixel It automatically creates the horizontal scroll bar which totally screws up what I'm goin for! But sometimes the scroll bars only come in when I drag the mouse over the frame thats giving me trouble.
With good planning I can get around this problem, but that takes thought and thought takes time and time equals money and money equals beer. So you see, if I can't do this I won't be able to drink tonight! Dear God no!

Last thing (ok, so theres 3 - i lied) - While testing the page I realized that I can actually drag the frames around in internet explorer! What is that about? Is there anyway to lock them?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

The customized scrollbar thing has come up before:

http://www.ozzu.com/viewtopic.php?t=1726

If you want to turn off the scrollbars in a frame you can add scrolling="no" to the frame tag in question.

I don't know why you're able to drag your frames around, but I don't have too much experience with frames, so perhaps someone else can help out on that.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need to be careful about turning off the scrollbar option. If you're like most people you are probably viewing in 1024x768 resolution. However, there are still people that I even personally know that use 800x600, because they read it better. Also, older computers with older graphics cards may not be able to change to a higher res.

If you turn off scrolling in frames you may be turning off the ability for some people to see everything that's in it.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

and noscroll doesn't stop the universal scroll click on most mouses from working. IT jsut disables the side bar.
  • DuffMan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO, I see what your saying and that makes sense. But I'm talking about frames that are only 10 pixels wide, so there is never a reason to scroll it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you provide the link?

What do you have in there? Nothing?
  • DuffMan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Theres no link because its still just on my computer getting worked on.

If it still does some of the funky business when its up online, I'll put the link up here
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Maybe explaining what you're trying to do with a frame that's only 10 px wide might help. Obviously, there can't be any content in it.
  • DuffMan
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, think of the frames on my page like a 5x2 (5 wide, 2 down) The content of the site is in the middle top and bottom frames. The frames that are only 10 pixels wide are the ones just to the left and right of the content, I made the background image a fade. So there is absolutely nothing in the frame besides a background image.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's been several years since I've messed with frames, but I seem to recall they can take the cellspacing and cellpadding attributes just like table cells. Try setting both of those to 0 for those frames and see if that takes care of it. I think if you don't include them they default to 1.
  • jannin
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Cranbrook, BC Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you still need to know how to stop the frames from being dragged around, I think you can put "noresize" into your frame tag.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I forgot about this post. Now that jannin brought it to light again, I'm curious if this ever got resolved, and if so, how?

BTW - welcome to OZZU jannin

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts