Setting up a team for MVC workflow

• mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

So my instructor has turned the final project into a group project. The project is an MVC based CMS. One of my group members is great at writing DB queries, the rest (3 remaining members) are decent at html with a bit of php understanding, and I can pretty much do any part. How would you guys split up an MVC project among a group with these strengths/weaknesses?
  • spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you building a CMS system from scratch, or building a project using an existing one as a base?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

HTML only = tell them to learn photoshop and make the icons. lol

Have your weaker programmers do ya crap work like templates and layouts and i guess u and Mr Db should take the backbone and work the core out and make sure all the features work.

just need to be organized and work on it section by section. Make a to do list and work it down.

holla if you need help
  • mindfullsilence
  • Professor
  • Professor

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's a CMS built from scratch. The instructor supplied the database schema and we are to build out the php scripts to interact with the database by adding to, pulling from, updating, and displaying the information.

Zealous, that's about how I figured it'd work best. I convinced the members who are a bit weaker in php to work on the views whilst I and "Mr Db" build out the controllers and models. But I guess I'm just wondering how that would work. We basically meet once a week wherein we show each other our progress and start on the next portion. But with this, I'll need to be one step ahead of my group. I'll need to have the model and controller done before the html team can begin work on the views. So, this means I'll have nothing to do for the last week while my team is working on the last set of views. Our grade is based on how much work our team believes we have done. I definitely don't want to look like I'm doing nothing.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would say once a week is a bit less then what i would of expected but then i guess there is email and the old telephone. But you can either just take your part to contribute or you could throw back and forth and help with each other. this is no small project to think over in 5 minutes but idk what else you can do apart from lay it all down in writing and just knock it down per section.

but even in the views there has to be a group consultation on what it is going to look like and your template team is going to need the controller team to work with either way and depending on the strength hold their hand.

i am sure with a little planning you can all find something to do but really if you finish early then start doing improvements and clean up the code and expand on other modules for better marks.

idk few hours sleep and up again but with 3-4 people i am sure you will be fine.
  • this213
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: ./

Post 3+ Months Ago

There's also subversion :D

The first thing you'll need to do is create some form of core which includes all of your general functions such as authentication, module control and template control. While you're doing this, your 3 html-only people can work up the design, after all, they're the ones who will be converting that into code. I'm assuming, of course, that if they don't know anything but html, they must know how to use Photoshop - I mean, who doesn't know one or the other? Are there still people like that?

Once you've gotten this done, the rest of your CMS will amount to writing modules. The more modules you write, the more your CMS can do. I'd try to hand off light coding to at least 1 and probably 2 of your html-only people though - you don't really need 3 designers on 1 site. Maybe have each of them submit a general PSD and you guys vote for the best one.

So yeah, pretty much what Zealous said

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts