Setting up an uploading image and text facility to a website

• musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi folks,

I am needing some advice please. I am thinking about building a website where the website owner can upload his product images and some text when he wants to (instead of giving him over the page code to try to do it himself, he has had no webpage building experience and I just know I will end up fixing every problem when he stuffs up the layout of a page).

I've tried googleing it but I havent had any results on what I am after.

I am not sure even what scripting thingy it would need to create something like that. Could someone give me some direction as to what I should be looking at?

Cheers,
Rose :D
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

mmm my other idea was if those shopping cart script thingys - do they have to go to a merchant facility or can the order just be emailed (minues the credit card details).
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same first need. But, I need it in asp. (for the image upload). I haven't been able to locate a code for it either. I need to be able to attach mine to email.
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

musik wrote:
Hi folks,
I am needing some advice please. I am thinking about building a website where the website owner can upload his product images and some text when he wants to (instead of giving him over the page code to try to do it himself, he has had no webpage building experience and I just know I will end up fixing every problem when he stuffs up the layout of a page).

You basically need a PHP script that uploads the image to a directory, inserts the image name in a mySQL database and then inserts the information he wants into the same mySQL database/table.

Then on the main webpage there is a mySQL query script that "SELECT * FROM TABLE WHERE" kind of thing and echo's it to the page.

musik wrote:
mmm my other idea was if those shopping cart script thingys - do they have to go to a merchant facility or can the order just be emailed (minues the credit card details).

If you use osCommerce all transactions are vendor to buyer, no middle man. Your client can get a copy of the email sent to the buyer by setting up the "Send Extra Order Emails to:" field in Configuration -> My store.

ATNO--Sorry don't know ASP :-P
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well b_heyer, that gives me something to think about. Essentially it would probably have to work the same way with ASP. The only real difference is ASP is usually coded in VB. The SQL commands are the same, however, so I understand that part. My only real problem would be, I'd have to use an ACCESS database because of the service that is being used.

Thanks
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
If you use osCommerce all transactions are vendor to buyer, no middle man. Your client can get a copy of the email sent to the buyer by setting up the "Send Extra Order Emails to:" field in Configuration -> My store.

Ok but what if I dont want it to be a transaction as such. We were thinking if it just emailed to him, and he could call them back get their transaction details & let them know what their shipping costs would be and then he would process it over the phone for them.

That would make it much easier, all I would have to do is teach him how to maintain his stock online via the osCommerce control panel.

Do you think that can be done?
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well then, musik, I think all you should have to do is set up a form and a formmailer script.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

but its a bit more complicated than that, it would be much better for him to use the control panel in a shopping cart, it adds up everything they want but instead of taking them to a credit card payment section, it finishes the process by sending an email to the store to which they work out the additional costs of delivery and let the customer know.

it is much easier for him to change and maintain pricing, images etc because he doesnt know any HTML (and I dont want him too or there goes my job!)

I just know if I set up the pages individually myself and gave them over to him to update he would make a dogs breakfast of them.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then you will need a script like asp or php or jsp for the cart...then use the end variable for the result to the email. Unfortunately, I understand the method more-or-less but can't offer the code. Sorry.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Naa thats OK, at least with the hosting, you get the cart ready to be installed - I just wondered if you can use it without a merchant facility at the end.

:wink:
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just change the action on the last page of the form to the formmailer script instead of the processing agent.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*m-wah* that's precisely the answer I was hoping for! :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*kisses and *hugs right back at ya! *lol
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wahoo!!

//rose does a jig :D
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

*grins...I assume that means "problem solved"? It was cool watching you dance the "jig"
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

well it is if it works LOL
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh oh oh! I forget to reply! :-X

Heheh I was having to much fun playing xbox with surround sound...anyways

Yea if you just take out the mail function when the form gets processed, as well as the function that reduces stock (since the transaction may not occur or something). Then just have him control it all from the admin panel.

Hell better yet, change the mail function so it emails him always instead of any client. And take off the requirement for users to be regestered or something fun like that.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

:P

u totally confused me! But i am going to get through as much of it as possible and then Ill ask for any help on anything specific once I get to the email/transaction part!!

xbox ooo!! :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts