Sidekick user data disappears into the cloud

• UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

T-Mobile customers using the sidekick mobile phone have a good reason to be upset today. Over the weekend, something happened to the server cloud where all of the sidekick stored it's information - including contacts, numbers, calendar events, photos, etc. The server cloud is (was?) owned and operated by Danger, a Microsoft subsidiary, and thus, the giant is taking blame as well. All of the information on the cloud was lost despite all recovery attempts. Any customers with data remaining on their sidekicks must now attempt to keep the battery in place and charged at all times if they want to salvage any information they may still have. I've seen a few stories blaming a poorly executed upgrade and others blaming server failure, but the REAL fault here is a lack of redundant backup. C'mon guys! This is a definitive no-no!

Source: CNET
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Stories like this make me want to drop what I'm doing and replicate important documents from each of the computers on my network to all of the others as backups.

You have to wonder about a storage company that calls itself "Danger". I can understand a weapons maker calling themselves that, but technology companies that are responsible for thousands if not millions of peoples data don't need to be "living on the edge".
  • UPSGuy
  • Lurker ಠ_ಠ
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Post 3+ Months Ago

Augh, I was fully concentrated on what you were saying until that last line - I instantly started up an internal rendition of Aerosmith's song.

I don't really get the Danger thing either. Beyond being a nice url to own, that's just asking karma to bite you on the a**. I'm assuming they got it from this quote I found on their about page.

Wouldn't you know there's not a mention of this fiasco anywhere on their press page?! :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts