Source on Multicast connection in C

• frankly
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • frankly

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi ppl,

Anyone knows where I can get some source on multicast programming in C? I've been searching on google for quite a few hrs...nth came up....Maybe my searching method has some problems....and also I'd like to ask, for a program to use multicast in sending and receiving, as in many other networking programs, they have to listen and accept at the same time, so what would be the best to use in this case (multicast). fork or thread is better? Just wanna wrap up the idea first.

Thanz!! :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a little bit of multicast sources here, not sure if this will help you any

http://pont.net/socket/

Also I believe the better way to go would be threading, but if you have a simple program then forking would probably be sufficient. From what I understand threading is usually used for something bigger like an httpd server or something which might need many many requests. Not completely sure though.
  • frankly
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • frankly

Post 3+ Months Ago

O cool haha bigwenmaster is really big!!

I just found that source and it's one of the useful source I found on the web haha
So I think I'm gonna use thread instead of fork, coz seems like it got more functions...but it's less common. I couldn't find much source about thread on the web. So any guyz out there know how to implement multicast using thread?

Thanz!! :D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

frankly wrote:
O cool haha bigwenmaster is really big!!

I am unstoppable.

Well I am not positive, but I think multicast programming would be multicast programming... the only difference would be how you handle the connections (since you want to be able to handle more than one person at a time). So instead of using fork to spawn new processes that would listen for connections and stuff you would use a new thread which would listen for new connections. I really don't know much on threading, but I would think any tutorial on threading would be enough here to be able to apply to your multicasting situation.

Again though, I am just making assumptions here, I haven't looked any of this up. Hope that helps :D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you need more info on threading you might check out this link. I glanced over it really fast but it seems to go over the basics:

http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg/tu ... hread.html

Not sure if it helps though.
  • frankly
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • frankly

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanz soooooooooo much!! :D :D :D

ps. the reaons I an replying so late is I can't logon to the forum in t\his couple of days...does anyone experienced the same thing? :shock:
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, weird I had no problems. Were you getting any error messages? Only thing I could suggest there is to delete all the cookies from ozzu, and then try, but it looks like you got it to work now.
  • frankly
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • frankly

Post 3+ Months Ago

o...I got "gateway error" in the browser. think the forum is too congested? haha don't know :D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin

Post 3+ Months Ago

Weird, well let me know if it happens anymore as I am not sure if the problem was on your end or the servers end.

Also was this error a browser generated error? or did it look like something that ozzu produced?
  • frankly
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • frankly

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well I thnk maybe it's just my browser.it is a browser generated error. u know gatewat error, just like those "cannot be reahced" error when ur not online..but I was surfing on othe sites and they're all OK. So I really don't know... :shock:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts