Spry Menu Bar Sub_Levels Don't Show on Mobile Devices

• GrafinLupus

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a problem getting a spry menu bar that uses JavaScript to display the sub-levels on an Android smart phone. It works fine on Firefox, Chrome and IE. Can anyone show me code to make it work on other devices?
GrafinLupus
  • Bogey
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Bogey
  • Loc: USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Touch devices are much different then desktops, laptops or anything that uses a mouse in a way that web browsing experience changes in touch devices.

One reason why that is true is because touch devices don't have hover events (onmousehover, onmouseblur) or anything like that... a touch is equal to one click with the mouse... period.

There are a few things you could try to circumvent such a problem with one of them being upgrading your spry menu widget to 2.0 (aka Spry UI). That won't fix it completely and may need some tweaking to get it to work, but I'm sure our dear friend Google would help you with that.

Another thing you could try doing (if you know JavaScript well enough, or if you don't, you could pay someone to do it for you) is to simulate a desktop GUI environment where you click once to select and click the selected option again to actually go there.

Another thing you could try doing is not using Spry and go for a responsive menu design*. That would help you make a cross platform compatible website.

* Some links on responsive navigation design that is worth checking:
  • http://responsivenavigation.net/
  • http://speckyboy.com/2012/08/29/10-responsive-navigation-solutions-and-tutorials/
  • GrafinLupus

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Bogey. I obviously have some more learning to do. Just when I thought I could launch this site I have more work to do. Well, with so many users on mobile and touch screen devices I must upgrade my skills or be left in the dust of my competitors!
I'll update my post if (probably "when") I have more questions.
GrafinLupus

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts