Starting on ground zero

• rcs74
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Daytona Beach, FL

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi there - I need some insight from those willing to travel back to the days when they were just considering the idea of programming. Here's the scenario to be considered: As a tech newbie I have been given a task. Someone has been generous enough to donate a website programmed in VB with a .NET structure. Hopefully I said that correctly. I need to use Dreamweaver to take what's been done and make it ours. I have only programmed in HTML and it was VERY simple stuff...where would you the (seasoned veteran programmer) start?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• mk27
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

For starters, I would not use dreamweaver, it will just be confusing. Use a normal text editor with highlighting for Visual Basic.

If those html pages are generated server-side by VB/.NET, be aware that what you want to work with is NOT the html pages (another reason I suspect Dreamweaver will be pointless, altho I am not familiar with it's capabilities here...).

A server-side generated page is not coded by anyone. It is the product of a program on the server, and generated automatically whenever someone visits the page. There are many advantages to this -- for example, you can have numbers of pages with the same layout but different content. The content is kept in a database or other file, and the factors affecting layout in a separate file, or hard-coded in the server-side program(s) that create the pages on request.

So do not simply take the "page source" your browser receives and start working on that!

Beyond that, I don't use VB or .NET (there are many ways to generate pages server-side, eg. PHP), but I guess you should find a good intro tutorial to VB, since that is what your source files will be written in. Hopefully someone more familiar with these specific tools will leave some more details...
  • rcs74
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the information, unfortunately using Dreamweaver is not an option it's a mandate. I may end up having to just figure out a way to recreate what they've done, we will see. Appreciate the feedback :-)
  • Nightslyr
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Nightslyr

Post 3+ Months Ago

rcs74 wrote:
Hi there - I need some insight from those willing to travel back to the days when they were just considering the idea of programming. Here's the scenario to be considered: As a tech newbie I have been given a task. Someone has been generous enough to donate a website programmed in VB with a .NET structure. Hopefully I said that correctly. I need to use Dreamweaver to take what's been done and make it ours. I have only programmed in HTML and it was VERY simple stuff...where would you the (seasoned veteran programmer) start?

What do you need to change to 'make it your own?' Surface-level stuff (i.e., the look and feel)? Or the underlying functionality (the way things actually work under the hood)?

In any case, I don't think that Dreamweaver is the editor of choice for this. You'd be better off getting the free Microsoft Web Developer 2008 Express editor, as it has native support for ASP.NET and VB.NET (I have the feeling that its intellisense capabilities will help you a lot). A Google search for that program should bring you to the right place to download it.
  • rcs74
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks Nightslyr, I have actually downloaded the Microsoft Web Developer already and am exploring it. We need to revamp the whole thing. The look, the functionality, everything. It needs to be dynamic and better organized than it is and those are just the basics. I am currently working through some of the beginner stuff they have included in the program to try and understand it and the basics of VB.

It will just be nice when I can dig in to one thing and figure it out - as it is my fingers have touched to many things on the surface and I haven't mastered how to do anything! I'm hoping this will help.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts