Submitting form to email - java servlets....

• YaKoB
  • Loc: Wagga, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Jus wondering if I can email form oce submitted, but output meaningful info such as:
Date: 10//10/2004
Contact No.: 0465897385

etc....
rather than
date;10102004;contact_no;0465643243

bla bla bla

Is the only "functional part of the site so language doesn;t really bother me, I just know how to write basic servlets.....

Thanks

Jacob
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi YaKoB,

I am not really understanding what you are trying to ask. Are you wanting to make so once someone submits something through a Java Servlet that it emails you information formatted like you want? Please be really clear on the question as you will probably get more people answering then.
  • YaKoB

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, mate, sorry!
Have a basic form that has contact details etc. but instead of storing it, I want the parameters to be sent using
Code: [ Select ]
mailto:"adadas@asda.com"
or woteva it is. Although I know how to do this, what I want is to be able to format I guess what is being sent, so the data in the email is structured and meaningful to any "normal" person.

Hope this is clearer :)

Jacob
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

YaKoB

Might be helpful to see the code you are currently using. Personally, I've never formatted an email with javascript, but I'm certain many here have. Let's see what you're doing so we can help you fix it. I normally use Jmail or Formmail, neither of which are going to be javascript, but there's a few good javascript folks around here that may see what you're missing.
  • YaKoB

Post 3+ Months Ago

I haven't started it.... LoL
I realise the form data is going to have to be submitted to a servlet first I guess, then formatted then hopefully sent to an email in that format. Perhaps I could generate a HTML page that is sent as an email? It only needs to go to a static email address so no probs with HTML.

As for the Jmail and Formmail, I have never heard of them, so if they are freeware, or easily learnt coding I am more than willing to give them a go.

Thanks

Jacob
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is your websites's server's OS? Linux/Unix or Windows or Other? Jmail is a Windows ASP emailer. And Formmail is a Perl based mailer that works on anything that supports Perl (usually Linux servers). If you're on a Linux server then you could probably also yuse php mail to accomplish your purpose and there's quite a few here that can help you with that.

I guess the point is we need a few more details about what you have to work with so we can get you from here to there. Besides, when you use the term "servlet" I sorta think Java so I'm not certain at this point what language you're attempting to code this in, and equally uncertain what your server supports.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts