tables trouble

• blackswan
  • blackswan
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,

I should first of all, warn you all that im new here :p and just started working on websites 2 years ago (in my freetime mostly) that i never had any classes, and well.. to be honest, I totaly suck at it *LOL* but no matter, im trying the best i can to make it work.
All i did was very basic HTML and that's about it... (ATM im learning CSS and PHP (mostly to undestand the codes that i see and someday to be able to make something with it)

now i have problem. I made a webpage using tables (*can hear people laughing from miles away now...*) and its my first (gota start somewhere no?)

Im more an artist than a coder anyhow..., but for my new website (which will be a roleplaying chat website) i need a good desing (whichwill do for now...) and easy to acess for members/players

What im trying to do is simple in frames, yes, but in table i have absolutly no idea what so ever (and to be honest, dont know where to start looking for it 0.O; )

Is there a way, in tables, to link from a menu, to the "main" table text, whitout reloading the whole page? (like frame)
why dont i use frame? no idea to be honest, i want to try table now :p

in frame its easy, you just target it where you want it (ex mainframe) but yea...

anyhow...

I guess it wont hurt to ask? :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
I made a webpage using tables (*can hear people laughing from miles away now...*)

Now that does bring out a little bit of chuckle. But not because you are using tables! Sites like Yahoo or even usability site boxesandarrows use tables. There is nothing wrong with table. Though some people are moving towards css. But that does not make tables laughable yet. I lay out most of my sites with tables.

But frames are definitely laughable. Both design-wise and SEO-wise.

For what you are trying to do it's very simple for table or just a page full of texts. Use <a name tag.

Mark the place you want to jump like this:
Code: [ Select ]
<a name="jump_here"></a>

Then link to that place like this:

<a href="jump_here">Jump</a>

It was a mature decision for you to give up frame.
  • blackswan
  • blackswan
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was a mature decision for you to give up frame.[/quote]

well, i learned with frames last year (and learning by my self, i usualy tend to stick to whatever works 0.O but now frame arent what i need)
im working on a more... sleek looking design, and with frames, its impossible...

as for CSS, I think it's useful, the base is anyhow (my menu is in css, hehe i like fading :p ) but i wont open that box of worm yet (i have NO patience what so ever... (kinda ironic with the job im studying for takes a lot of patience...(training horses/dogs) at least, no patience with computer *L*

thanks a LOT for the answer :) i'll try it right away
  • quantumcloud
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Dhaka, Bangladesh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very nice. Welcome to the webmasters world. :)

But looks like I missed a # sign in the above code.

Link to the place like this:

<a href="#jump_here">Jump</a>

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts