Text Select/Hyperlink Issue

• iNet

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am baffled and getting frustrated... I hope another set of eyes may be able to see what I may be missing. This is a Joomla site, but I think it is a code issue and not the CMS, perhaps.

Background:
I volunteered to put together a new site for my son's local cadet corps. I needed put it together relatively quickly and within a framework that would allow staff to update easily. The current site is Wordpress and design/content was basic. I opted to build the new site using Joomla, so this is not entirely coded myself. I did build a custom module for it, but it is relatively small.

The issue I am experiencing is a couple things, but they may be related, so I'll mention the one that I noticed first. This page (www[dot]2958rcacc[dot]ca/beta/index.php/aboutus) loads fine, but as one attemps to select text, only the first 2 paragraphs are selectable. Anything beyond the title "Background" gets selected as one block. I have been looking for info on this, but items I find are old, and related to old issues with png backgrounds.

The other issue I see, which was ok until a couple days ago, is the home page has a couple news items at the bottom of it. The title and "Read more" bars are supposed to be links. The first one works, but the others are not recognized. I did make some changes to the custom module, but the issue remains when I remove it.

I do not see this behavior in IE, but I do in FF and Chrome. This does not really surprise me as IE is very forgiving of bad code, but I need to make this work on other browsers to ensure the same experience for all visitors.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

You mentioned your about us page, but I did not see any read more bars there. Your homepage seems to have that though, so I am thinking you meant that page.

All of the read more links in Firefox are working for me, were you able to fix it already? If so my guess was you forgot to close a tag somewhere?
  • iNet

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello, and thank you for taking a moment to reply.

Yes, the homepage is the one with the read more bars. Interesting that it did not work for me... hmm. I'll test on a couple other systems to see if I can reproduce it. In my case, nothing after the first title link works. I also still cannot select text on the about page beyond the "Background" title.

As far as I can see, there are no unpaired tags or quotes. I have gone over the pages and can't find anything - hence my frustration : ) I'll have to go through it again.
  • iNet

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oddly, I am seeing the same behavior on two other systems. Strange that you are not seeing this too.

What brought this to my attention was once I completed the "About Us" article, I was unable to click on any links within the article beyond a certain point. I have added a couple hyperlinks to demonstrate - Test link 1 (near the top) and Test link 2 (about 1/2 way near "Promotions" section). The second one, while appearing OK in the HTML, does not allow the visitor to use it.
  • iNet

Post 3+ Months Ago

I did find an extra <div> at the end of the template file, but removing it did not resolve the issue.

Additionally, I have disabled various modules to see if an error within one of them may be causing this with no effect.
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think I see your issue.

When viewing the about us page with my inspector I noticed that around the line Anti-Tank, one of the units that in the background section that is the last selectable area if you try to select below that it doesn't work.

The issue I'm seeing is that your div #footer_wrapper is over lapping every thing below Anti-Tank, one of the units that. So in firefox your trying to select what is in the div #footer_wrapper(which is empty) instead the text behind it
  • ScottG
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • ScottG

Post 3+ Months Ago

A possible fix would be to remove the position:relative from the #footer_wrapper from the template_main.css
  • iNet

Post 3+ Months Ago

Boom! :)

I figured it had to be something CSS, but after looking at it so long, I didn't 'see' the problem! Thanks!!

I'll need to make better use of the inspector! : /

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts