C++

• smith_zach89
  • Student
  • Student
  • smith_zach89
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm getting into C++ programming, and would like to know exactly what it does, and what can be created using it. Is there anywhere or anyone that could help me out with this? Thanks!
  • stinger
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • stinger
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

C++ can do everything and anything! You can create dos running programms to add delete and modify databases. You can create a virus that will eat at your memory.

You can also use C++ for windows programming and create simple functions for deleting folders, keeping track of finances etc. . .

Advanced C++ programs can contain multimedia content, connect through the web, and play games. Counter Strike, a highly played First Person Shooter game, was made with C++.

Have fun
  • _Leo_
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Buenos Aires, Argentina

Post 3+ Months Ago

Why to stop in Windows platform? :)

You can create software for Linux, Mac, Unix, PDAs, etc.

C/C++ is a programming language, your limit is what the hardware can do.
  • smith_zach89
  • Student
  • Student
  • smith_zach89
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, thanks guys! Is there any sites that would give me a basic lesson in C++ and help me create something small, just so I can get a feel for it?
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

c++ is similar to java.
If you know java, you can pick up c++ easily.

try http://www.devshed.com
  • RichB
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Boston

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is a basic tutorial here and many more c/c++ links here including tutorials, compilers, books, forums, faqs, libraries, etc.
  • rmccready
  • Born
  • Born
  • rmccready

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would argue that if you say you know Java and don't know C++, then you don't really know Java... Anyways, just doing my job of being a pain in the arse.
  • DCplin
  • Born
  • Born
  • DCplin

Post 3+ Months Ago

You need not know Java to learn C or C++.
  • rtm223
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

_Leo_ wrote:
Why to stop in Windows platform? :)

You can create software for Linux, Mac, Unix, PDAs, etc.

You could even build your own OS from scratch :D if you are crazy....

As mentioned before, think of all the programs you have come across, even just in the last month, be it OS, wordprocessing, games, embedded programs in microchips, whatever - <b>most</b> of it was probably written in C or C++ and even if it wasn't then you could recreate the same effect using these languages. You could create some really powerful applications without doing more than scratching the surface.
  • dr_geek
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: london town

Post 3+ Months Ago

C++ kick's ass when it comes to performance, portability, scalability, extensability... of couse this all depends on how well the code crafted in the first place!
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

i just started to and i found this really cool forum... not saying ozzu is a bad one but this one is c++ only,

im already maken my first console RPG ^^

http://www.forums.cpp-home.com
  • Zombie6301
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Hilo, Hawaii

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you're looking for a good book to pick up to learn C++ well, I would suggest "Problem Solving with C++: The Object of Programming", by Walter Savitch. I have the Fourth edition but there may have been another one released since I got it. It is excellently written and fairly easy to understand. I would also recommend picking up a good compiler if you don't already have one such as Microsoft Visual C++. There are much cheaper ones available as well but if you're planning on sticking with C++ and getting serious with it I would definitely go with that one.
  • dr_geek
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: london town

Post 3+ Months Ago

Zombie6301 wrote:
I would also recommend picking up a good compiler if you don't already have one such as Microsoft Visual C++. There are much cheaper ones available as well but if you're planning on sticking with C++ and getting serious with it I would definitely go with that one.

GNU's gcc (compiler) + Eclipse (IDE) + DDD (debugger) + Wine (Windows API)

is not only a much higher quality set of tools than MSVC++, they are all free (open source) and you can use them on/for Linux/Unix platforms as well as Windozes.

so... if you REALLY want to get serious about C++ programming: these tools are the future and you can start using them right now without coughing up hundreds/thousands of $$$

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts