Understanding Netbios

• greg
  • Born
  • Born
  • greg
  • Loc: canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi about a week ago i was curious on how this whole netbios thing so I downloaded a tutorial read it then asked my friend if i could try it out on his computer he said yes so then he gae me his ip address then i opened ms dos prompt and typed

c:\>nbtstat -a ipaddress

and all i got was

"host not found"

what am i doing wrong
:(
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

What ISP is he using? If he's behind a router, and you're not on the same network, his IP is probably being translated...

for example, on my local network, my machine's static IP is 192.168.11.40

But if you were to trace me, you'd get 155.229.something. You'd get the SAME ip address for the 450 others in my building as well...

That's why it's expensive to get a "static ip" from your ISP. They can't use their standard routers and DHCP contollers, they have to give you a public IP address, which costs them extra.

That said, there are a hundred other reasons that might not have worked, including firewalls (yours or his), internet connections... you name it.

.c
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

To me this is a legitimate Windows function that needs to be understood, particularly when dealing with legacy machines. I am going to adjust the subject to avoid confusion.

To answer the immediate question, you simply have a typo. at the command prompt it should be:

netstat -a ipaddress

//Be aware, I and the other mods will be watching this one closely. Please ensure that it doesn't turn into anything other than legitimate understanding of Netbios.
  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO, thanks, I *almost* PMed Axe about it, but decided not to worry about it.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, let me say this, My answer above is not the answer. I thought he was looking for something else. After some lengthy discussion with Axe about it, I'm tempted to lock it right back up, but I'll let it go for now. This is legit for the moment, let's ensure that it stays that way.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts