User authorization script

• abnaki
  • Born
  • Born
  • abnaki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Besides our forum (phpBB of course) we've got a web site up and running for other content for our members. We are currently using a (free) Perl script to password protect the site using .htaccess. It's serving it's purpose except for:
  • The script/db calls for only five "inputs" (fname, lname, username, email, password) we need one more for authentication purposes.

We've spent the better part of this week surfing for a better solution and have come up short. I'm asking if anyone could point me to a solution, either Perl or PHP.

We are primarily concerned with the privacy of our members but above all we need a script/solution that requires an admin to approve new accounts.

We're all newbies and have very limited knowledge of PHP/Perl (this is apparent 'cause otherwise we would have been able to mod our current script), so the solution needs to be simple to configure.

Our host limits us to PHP or CGI/Perl, ASP is not an option. We've got one MySQL db, currently using the board, so any script that requires MySQL will need to be easy to reconfigure in the event of table conflicts. One last thing we don't need a CMS, we've look into them extensively and besides most being vulnerable a CMS is "way over the top" for our needs.

Oh wait ... our budget is limited or moreover nonexistent. :(
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Scorpius
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Scorpion Hole

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I could make a quick one for you. It would be in PHP, and MySQL, you could just put the tables in the same db that you currently use, you would just have to include a file on all the pages you wanted to be protected. E-mail me or IM me on any messanger if you would like me to make this for you.
  • abnaki
  • Born
  • Born
  • abnaki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx for the quick reply. PM on the way with "dirty" details.
  • rjstephens
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

couldn't you just make all your boards in phpbb only accessible to logged in users, and then set new users to require admin approval, completely doing away with your existing password protection script?
  • abnaki
  • Born
  • Born
  • abnaki

Post 3+ Months Ago

rjstephens wrote:
couldn't you just make all your boards in phpbb only accessible to logged in users, and then set new users to require admin approval, completely doing away with your existing password protection script?
Our broad is currently set up this way ... the thing is we have other content that needs to be accessible via the web and it doesn't quite "fit" in phpBB format.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts